Ballroom Dance > how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sigh...missing the days when time and money were more in abundance...only 6-8 lessons before next comp and I feel as though I have no idea when I will have time to get the helpful info I paid for on lessons into my body

scullystwin42 likes this.
  2. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I had the second in a series of coachings with the woman co-owner of the studio (WCO) and Smooth New Guy today. Followed up on what we did a week and a half ago, added in a few more things, and also did a little VW. All basics.... I'll be shocked the day we move on. :) It's feeling terrific, however, and I'm happy to do this as long as needed. Friday I have a coaching with her and Rhythm New Guy where we'll be doing smooth. His and my last couple of lessons have been working on small bits of rhumba and cha cha that bothered either him or me, and then switching to smooth. I know I said it before, but she is a great teacher/coach and I feel so fortunate to have her as a resource in the studio. She is my new favorite way of making up lessons I miss.:D

cornutt, Dance Redeemer and raindance like this.
  3. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

So after making the choice to split with my partner in February after university nationals. I have really not been dancing much. But the other day had a group class with guest teachers as out latin teacher is out of town for a few months. Ii have to say it went really well! They spent time going over Jive and stamina and I think I may have a couple of privates with then as I felt Ii responded well

cornutt and Sania like this.
  4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Been there. Frequently.

FancyFeet likes this.
  5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Today was male ego paired with pre-comp nitpicking.

(My absolute least favourite kind of lesson. Seriously thought about declaring lesson over and heading home about 3 separate times.)

IndyLady and scullystwin42 like this.
  6. RiseNFall

I'm sorry, FF. Pro and I certainly have times where we would like to throttle the other one, and I know I have glanced at the clock in a lesson a couple of times thinking "can I get the f*ck out of here yet?" We have worked out the pre-comp lessons very well, however. It was clear what the patterns were, and what was leading to them, and we found fixes that we both are happy about.

7. FancyFeet

We just comp prep in opposite ways. I like to prep early, be ready, then just coast in the week of all nice and relaxed... he likes to up the work and intensity leading in.

It is better than it used to be... but still not so fun.

8. RiseNFall

Better is good! And probably the most that be hoped for. ;) Pro and I occasionally switch "roles". I remember his saying shortly before one competition, "And you chose now to try to incorporate this into your dancing???"

Borazine likes this.
  9. RiseNFall

Pro said something was "perfect". :) Second time in 4 1/2 years of dancing with him. Of course, I was so stunned that he said that, I don't actually remember what it was in reference to (a measure or two of tango, but not sure which couple of measures we were working on at the time).

scullystwin42 likes this.
  10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Rule with me and my pros is.... no coaching the week before the comp. that's for foot rounds slow rounds long rounds and regular rounds. Build connection and stamina. At that point we are partners. Unless I ask for info

Purr, Sania, IndyLady and 1 other person like this.
  11. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I have a similar rule (which I have often had to enforce, since it's not always mutually remembered) - no new information the week before an event, whether it's Showcase or a comp. Run-throughs and reminders of already discussed items only.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  12. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

lessons were comp rounds this week. i am confident in my dancing but frustrated by a little trouble spots in just about every routine. gotta let that go mentally before comp next week. practice practice practice this weekend, just to ensure i've added on the spit and polish.

Sania and Mr 4 styles like this.
  13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Lessons for the next two weeks will be with alternate am partner, while regular am partner is gone on a (well deserved) two week vacation. AAP and I have recently taken it into our heads to choreograph a showcase Smooth Tango by ourselves. :eek: (We are calling it our "toy" routine, not because it's about toys, but because the routine itself is a toy...) So far, it's mostly syllabus steps with a couple of lines thrown in. We do have one cool bit where, after putting a dip, we realize that we come out of it in such a position that it's a simple matter to reverse the frame at that point. So now, for three 8-counts, I'm following. :dancingbanana: Anyway, the instructor is not going to know what kind of a trap he's walking into next Monday... :wacky:

Borazine, Sania, IndyLady and 2 others like this.
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Now that I have an out of town pro, my lessons are packed with information and the aftermath is sitting in the hotel room icing every joint in my body! Lol!
    We also had a terrific coaching and it always amazes and humbles me how often I have to go back to the basics!

15. FancyFeet

Peeps, I actually enjoyed a VW-heavy lesson last night. It may be a sign of the coming apocalypse.

We tinkered with a few concepts for my basic... breaking at the hip at certain points, like I do in places in tango, produces a really interesting (in a good way) effect. We're also putting in a spin turn option that is new and allowed in the WDC world (pro still won't agree to throw in WDSF stuff), and have finally added flekerls (sadly, we're doing natural first, where I much prefer reverse). It seems that me losing my sh*t on pro a month or so ago about VW finally made my message about the 'my problem is entirely mental in this dance' sink in. I am beyond happy that we're adding more figures to help keep my brain occupied so I don't have as much time to think.

And, in FT: I have extremely flexible shoulders. As-in, can swing my arms behind me and clap my hands together at shoulder height (I can actually cross my forearms). This means that sometimes (okay, a lot) my right arm drifts behind me while I am dancing... and thanks to my shoulders, it's comfortable, and my torso doesn't twist... so I don't can't feel it and don't notice, which is making it super hard to fix. Last night, for the first time ever, I felt it happen. Pro was all "your arm", and couldn't understand why I was bouncing up and down with excitement as he spoke, even after I explained. I've told him I can't feel it, and asked him to tell me when I do it... but his face last night told me that he was thinking something like "oh, she meant she really cannot feel it happening at all, not just that she doesn't notice". Hopefully, this is the sign of a breakthrough and I'll be able to feel it happening in the future!

16. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

post-comp smooth and rhythm lessons in the books. smooth needs more places where we just breathe, but whenever my pro tries to change things, he tends towards the movement and power (he competed in standard and danced like an Italian). Gonna have to constantly remind him that we need breathing spots! both have improved, despite me being absolutely sure that smooth had not at all (comparison video to 6 mo ago proved me wrong lol). then spent another whole lesson on my mambo opening, sigh. there was much mocking. imma get that piece.

Sania likes this.
  17. For the last month, my lessons have mostly been good. About a month ago, I had a great coaching with specific feedback on specific routines. Incorporating those comments into the routines we reviewed went really well, and I felt like I made a lot of headway. I then tried to incorporate those comments into all my dancing - that's been a little more mixed. I need to strengthen my core and improve my sense of placement in space -- especially for standard. It's definitely getting better, but this next phase is slower going. This particular coach doesn't come back to the studio too often, but I'm excited for his next visit. In the meantime, my Pro has been really good about developing little exercises that I can do to practice.

18. Mell

Mell New Member

Hi first post to this website, nice to meet you all.

I recently started back at ballroom after a 10 year break (due to relocation). I had previously been up to my silver medals- completed latin and new vogue.
    I've had 6 or 7 classes so far and even though I was expecting it, it really sucks to see that my technique is basically gone. Muscle memory has been amazing, I take one step and I can remember the rest of the dance, it feels very natural. Now that I'm back, I wonder how I could have given it up all those years ago. Also I've been going to beginner classes with my fiance and he is a brand new dancer. The studio owner said I should go to the intermediate classes but I don't feel ready and I actually really enjoy dancing with my partner. I'm determined though, I would love to get back to where I was and even compete once again.

19. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Welcome to Dance Forums, Mell! I hope you and your fiance enjoy your dance journey.

Mell and fascination like this.
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yes, welcome

Mell likes this.