Ballroom Dance > how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Not cool, people.

scullystwin42, raindance and Purr like this.
  2. FancyFeet

Lesson last night, with me nursing a minor headache and a bruised left foot - so probably slightly crabby at the outset.

Tango was fine... VW was not. Pro had applied a correction last week, I spent hours working on it over the weekend... after our first pass of the ballroom, he decided he doesn't like it, and once again started throwing everything but the kitchen sink at me to try... I did not handle it well. I got to the point where I walked away from him and sat down for a minute... which seemed to indicate to pro that there was something going on (you think?).

We ended up having a discussion about how I've been working my a$s off on this dance, trying everything he's throwing at me, and I feel like it's moving in the wrong direction. It's feeling awful and heavy, and I'm tense, and I'm starting to rush it because I just want to GET IT OVER WITH. And how when he starts throwing a zillion things to try at me, I feel like he isn't sure what's wrong but that it's terrible, I'm not sure what to focus on, and I start to panic. Oh, and somewhere in there, he told me "It's very simple, just six steps. You do much harder things in other dances"... to which I responded something like "It's really not helpful when you tell me something that I am struggling with is simple. Because I'm not stupid, and I'm trying, but it's not simple to me."

He seemed in the mood to actually listen to me on this one, so I told him that I don't think the problem is technical at all... because sometimes it's absolutely fine, and it's often our first run through that is the best. For me, it's about finding those few (1-3) key things to focus on. So we need to pick one or two, and let me stick with those for a few weeks to see if it's working before changing or adding to it. Conclusion: we're stripping everything away from my brain in VW, and going to what I do in a number of other dances - thinking knees forward, head back. We tested it a bit last night, and it looks promising.

Then W and FT. They were fine. Then I apologized for getting frustrated.

Sania, scullystwin42 and raindance like this.
  3. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Yes. Gazillions of people read DF who don't post on it, I know I've posted enough for anybody in this area to know what studio I dance at, and it's likely that people from this studio and its "sister" studios read DF even if they don't post on it. Thus, I (usually) rein in my snarky side. ;)

IndyLady likes this.
  4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

When I post I FB, I try to think in terms of how I would feel if the post were on the front page of the local paper. It's seldom that I post anything negative on FB; mostly it's neutral or positive.

With DF, it's less so. I've been on the DF a long time, and some folks, no idea for sure how many, know who I am. And now, I don't really care either. I can point to many bad experiences that have come through dancing, that I get to the point of wondering where the benefits outweigh the bad. It's the law of diminishing returns kind of thing.

I think I'm getting in a mood now, and it's time to find some hot tea and chocolate.

Sania and scullystwin42 like this.
  5. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

I've been there lately too, that place where I start weighing the downs and ups of dancesport training. Yes, tea and chocolate do help. Tho lately I've experimented with substituting flowers. Costs more but fewer calories. My house looks like a florist shop these days.

I hope you and I both find more positives and keep dancing and enjoying it. I used to look forward to lessons, and feel uplifted after. I want to get back to that. Dancing itself used to be the reward. And it can be again.

Purr and raindance like this.
  6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

We've got a place in a showcase routine where we do several laps around the floor, doing several different varieties of right turns done in shadow position. The particular one I'm struggling with starts with her at my right, and my hold on the right side of her ribcage with my right hand. We do a shadow right turn with me on the outside of the turn, which means I have to start the turn by cutting her off, so to speak. The turning action positions her to my left side, and I take a ribcage hold on her left side. Then, we do three running steps, and as we do it I pass her from my left side to my right, in front of me, and the pattern repeats.

There's two places where I was flinching because it felt like I was going to run her over. The first was the first step of the right turn, where I have to cross her line of dance. For the lead, it's a bit like initiating an ordinary natural turn from promenade, except that she's turning too. The second place is the second step of the running turn, as she is passing across from my left to my right. That second step is supposed to be between her legs as she goes across. It's taking a bit of a firm lead for me to get her over there so I can feel reasonably confident that I'm not going to kick her in the back of the leg.

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Ok, thank you. Time and practice should help. :)

8. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Good lessons so far this week. Worked on making my cha cha even more grounded, and my tango less heavy. also i am SUPER excited that my smooth pro is now moving over to work part time at the studio i like, meaning that in june i no longer i have to take lessons with him at the old studio with the terrible owner. YAYAYYAYAYAYYAYAYYAYAYAY. cha cha review and bolero tonight, and then mambo next week. then rounds rounds rounds because next comp in june (already).

Sania, Purr, Dance Redeemer and 3 others like this.
  9. The past couple weeks have been great. We're finally getting to all those parts in my routines fixed where I struggled, or it didn't flow, or it looked bad, or we never really finished/fixed an 8-count, or whatever. The underlying problems were things where I muscle through, but my technique wasn't there. and we're finally getting the technique fixed, and it works. It started with a lesson from a really good coach with some very specific things to work on and then we've stepped through routines over and over, in great detail. I am finally getting the hang of sections that I thought would never, ever, work in a million years. Yay!

10. RiseNFall

@Dance Redeemer, I'm particularly happy you had a good coaching after that horrible one you had!

11. RiseNFall

I had an excellent coaching today with the woman co-owner (WCO) of the studio and Smooth New Guy. I'll be having at least one lesson a week with him this month, including another one tomorrow where we can work on reinforcing what we did today. Pro will be gone for a whole week at the end of May and we'll do another coaching then.

I love working with WCO because she's excellent, I get her for the price of a lesson instead of a coaching, and I get the continuity of repeat coachings when I want/need/can-afford them.

12. RiseNFall - Thank you! Me, too!

13. scullystwin42

Ugh, i was hopping for good lesson last night, but i was too stressed, too full, and too tired to have it feel good. It wasn't bad, i did ok, but it was a lot of work to just move my body at all. i need a vacation from work.

14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

cornutt i have that exact sequence you just described in waltz.. I'm headed to the airport but ill post later how my pro and i mastered that sequence

cornutt likes this.
  15. Mr 4 styles

As you enter the right turn you have a left side positive forward step on one forward step turning on two but keep a hip to head connection. Your left hip swinging left her head counters rightward poise . You will find it easy to safely get around her if you stretch /fill the connection at this point step side on three nowvits a hip to head connection your right hip pulling rightward her head countering in leftward poise spine angles matched leftward tilt knees forward and to the right.

16. Mr 4 styles

Now the passing steps. Think of simply exchanging her from your left hand to the right like passing something down a line

Keep the connections and spine angles the same through the process. I struggled with this but my pro fixed it by having her dance across my path diagonal wall. ( this helps se up the repeat as it shaves off some turn on the repeat right your steps will be smaller of course. After the third step it's hip to head again but you are in stop with your head in leftward pose connected to her right hip.

cornutt likes this.
  17. Mr 4 styles

Good luck hope that helps

cornutt and Sania like this.
  18. FancyFeet

Just cancelled a scheduled lesson for the first time ever. It feels really, really odd.

19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ok, so a slew of things...over the course of "lessons" really,,the bare minimum because we were both traveling, developed a VW showcase. Received really great coaching and finishing touches.
    Performed VW Showcase last Thursday. My own personal return to the floor went rather well I would say, lessons soaked in, coaching really soaked in and it felt good.
    Fast forward.
    To yesterday. Pro wants to keep this VW in his magic bag of tricks because he liked it so much. That's a first.
    Coaching, with a coach I haven't seen in 3 years, was on this very dance. And I suddenly feel like, well, gumby. Coach positioned me where i "needed to be so I'm not square" left or right, reach, split legs...uhhhhhhh................then coach says after this entire 45 minute "workout"...wow she's really flexible...uhhhhhhh. Yep, just put yesterday up there with a very hard Pilates workout for a newcomer. GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. in the long run, it was good, in the short version since i was the middle of the sandwich dancing with coach on the outside of me and pro on the inside track,,,,well,,,,I had to flex or someone was going to fall and it wasn't going to be me.

scullystwin42, Sania and RiseNFall like this.
  20. scullystwin42

yesterday lesson was...uneven. not enough solo practice for the last 5 days or so due to being under the weather and SUPER busy, and it showed in the lesson, sigh. but my cha cha is still good! this weekend is less packed, so i will have time to practice and be back on track. wasn't bad, really, just...not as good as i can do. rounds rounds rounds and nothing but for the next three week.