Ballroom Dance > how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes, it seems like showcase is all becoming all about him. I am not sure what I am getting out of this. I was also not happy that introduction to dance features a showoff move he does, while I stand there more or less like a dumb idiot. We had previously talked about something I could do - a takeoff from rumba - that he conveniently forgot.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Probably bad form to bail now, but personally I'd think twice about doing anything more after your showcase with these people.

3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm bailing after the showcase, that is, if the showcase happens at all.

IndyLady likes this.
  4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Good luck with whatever path you decide to take.

Purr likes this.
  5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Thank you.

6. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

first of the two lessons this week was last night. was good but not great, and my focus is on not letting my mind get the better of me for comp this weekend. last lesson tonight, comp friday. woohoo!

Sania likes this.
  7. scullystwin42

second lesson went well. Mind is settled. now just packing, practice, sleep.

Sania, Purr and RiseNFall like this.
  8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Showcase lesson, creativity and technique went hand in hand, now it's time to 100% commit to the dance.
    Spoke with pro about Galaxy in Sept, his ideas are popping!

Sania likes this.
  9. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Ugh. Less than stellar one last night...

Major gas leak in the downtown core meant I arrived home about the time I usually am arriving at the studio on lesson day. Thankfully, only had to pop my contacts in, grab my dance bag and fly out the door, but arriving at the studio ~5 minutes before my scheduled lesson still needing to change is not how I usually roll. And of course pro chose yesterday to actually be on time (this makes, I think, the 4th time in 4 YEARS)... so no warm up, no decompress time after a stressful workday and no food since lunch* (aside from the emergency granola bar eaten in the car on the way)... it was not horrifically bad, but definitely not my best.

Pro seemed to want to work a few extra minutes at the end, but I had hit a wall by then... lesson ended with me trying to do "one more time", then stumbling during FT when my leg just wouldn't hold me, and pro going "okay, tomorrow".

Dinner, a shower, and another dinner later, and I started to feel vaguely human.

*I usually eat twice more between lunch and lesson time - a meal and a snack. I was way under my needed calorie intake by 5 pm.

10. scullystwin42

first post-comp lesson. my videos are starting to look like the dancer i want to see! lots of good feedback, i could barely get a word in edgewise because the words were tumbling out of my pro's mouth. can't wait til the next one...now to convince my husband that i can actually afford to do another independent comp...

11. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Worked on rumba walks again this week, it went better (a couple things sunk in), but this is obviously going to be a work in progress for a loooonnngggg time.

I think the cha cha routine is as ready as it's going to be at this juncture. Showcase is this Sunday. It's the first time I'm not really super psyched about it - since I'm only doing the one routine, I'm just going to duck in, dance, and go home, rather than staying for the day and the dinner. The rationale was that I'm not willing to sack DH with our spirited pre-schooler for 12+ hours on a weekend so I can dance 1 routine. (I normally do 3-4 routines, cheer everyone else on, and stay for the dinner/dancing afterwards, which for me is a worthwhile day and way more fun than Christmas). Except DH is taking the kid up to see his parents this weekend so that rationale fails now, but oh well.

ETA: I should specify, I originally was going to skip this Showcase altogether because I only had 1 legit performance, but the judge is my favorite coach of all time, which is why I did a 180.

The studio keeps pushing this on me.... I got asked twice the last time I was there "So when's your next lesson with ****?" He's subbing for my primary instructor for a couple weeks while said instructor is out of town on vacation. Still very conflicted about this. I'm sure I could make technical progress, but I just don't see us ever having the right chemistry for a performance situation. Ugh.

12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Them: "So when's your next lesson with ****?"

You: "Ummm, yeah, that really doesn't work for me right now."

Just a thought...

Purr and IndyLady like this.
  13. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I can't believe I forgot this until just now, but the manager (who is also an instructor) told me I should do a Showcase with the new instructor while I was at the front desk taking care of some business. I actually replied with the same thing I said here, that I didn't think we would have good chemistry together. He said "what?" in that same way people respond when you are self-deprecating, but then the convo ended or moved on and no more was said about it. You are correct, though Loki, I think at some point I'm probably going to have to be more direct about telling them to lay off if they keep asking me about it. I suspect they are under pressure from the owner to get him booked with lots of lessons.

14. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

You can ask them to lay off, or you can just keep saying a simple, "no thanks, I am not interested at this time." After the 100th time they will probably start bugging you about something else. ;)

15. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I've been dancing more with Pro recently and a bit less with New Guys--I wasn't adjusting between the different leads quickly enough and it was making it difficult to go into a Zen-like happy place near competitions. (You can use your imagination. :)) However, Pro travels a fair amount for competitions so I still frequently have lessons with the New Guys. If I don't dance something with them for a few weeks it really highlights the progress I'm making. Me, to Smooth New Guy: I dance better than I did a month ago! Him: You always dance better than you did a month ago. Me: I'm excited about it anyway!

My lessons with Pro have been even more detail oriented than usual (something that I did not think was possible) and it's been cool to see how that translates to my dancing in my other lessons. What I've worked on with Pro with shows the most improvement, but the technical improvements come through everywhere.

Rhythm New Guy and I have spent a lot of time recently working on upping my cha-cha basics and we continued that today. I have a couple of practice drills to work on. :D

FancyFeet and raindance like this.
  16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

So, no lessons or dancing for the past 2 weekends...due to a variety of reasons...kind of nice to take a breath and step back...strongly suspect that someone who knows me personally discussed prior posts on this thread with pro based on VM and texts I received...content to do drills on my own for awhile...when I'm ready to start dancing again, it will be there...

cornutt likes this.
  17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My summary of this week's lesson: In a shadow position, when you're supposed to turn, then turn, darn it, even if it feels like you're going to run over your partner. If you lead properly (and she's paying attention), no crashes will result. One of a number of places where I need to be less tentative with my partner.

Purr and j_alexandra like this.
  18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

It's just how it is. There's a couple of people who made the connection years ago. There's another more recent person, but I'm a little dubious it came from there. And I'm sure there's others.

You have to figure when you post here, there's really no such thing as an anonymity. You may have mentioned competitions you've been, placements you've achieved, pros or coaches you've worked with, or vendors you've purchased from. You may have mentioned other personal information like where you live, what you do for a living, or your marital status. You may have a connections to a studio, like FADS or an independent. You may have photos; even what you think may be an innocuous photo for an avatar picture can provide information. And you may have the connection to the DF community on FB, or maybe connections to other online communities. If someone were really motivated and had the time, they could potentially "unmask" anyone.

IndyLady and RiseNFall like this.
  20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Who's potentially crashing into whom?

Shadow position was scary for me when it was first introduced. There's the unfamiliarity, the trust issue, and directionally I lost it where I was should be going. These were worked out over time, so it made better sense.