heel caps

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Nov 14, 2012.

1. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

so I always put heel caps on my smooth shoes but I seem to wear through them really fast. It tends to be the right shoe outside of the heel. what am I doing that makes that happen? and what can I do to make it happen less?

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Back outside edge of the heel? You're supinating, walking on the outside edge of your foot. I wear through all my shoes (street and dance) in the same spot. All you can do is try and train yourself to walk differently and make a concerted effort when dancing. (Which has helped how I walk in general as dance MAKES me think about it.)

Also, are you buying plain heel protectors or ones with suede? I blow through the clear ones fast but I have suede on my Latin shoes, and it seems to slow down the wear and tear.

dbk and scullystwin42 like this.
  3. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

the ones I use on my smooth shoes now are the plain plastic. I used to have with the suede too but they both seemed to wear down just as fast. My Latin heel protectors usually last forever because I'm hardly on my heels. but also I don't have that problem in my street shoes. that's the weird thing, the heels on my street shoes wear down normally in all directions... my feet are weird.

4. stash

stash Well-Known Member

In standard (and smooth I assume as well) as we are going backward we drag our heals. You are suppose to do this. This is why your heal protectors wear away fast. what you can do is get heal protectors and then buy suede from Michael's or something and make suede stars to put over them. This makes them last longer as well.

5. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

but I feel like if I was doing that right then it would be the center of the heel or the inside edge of the heel as opposed to the outside edge, no?

6. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Funny, i have the same issue (i've just switched from smooth to standard). I should take a pic of mine. Its interesting to see the wear patterns. They are considerably more worn the outside edge and more on the left foot (i think cause when we do whisk-chasse i really give'r on that one heel lead LOL). Still though, both sides are outside-edge wear. I've been trying to correct this and focus more on pronating my feet. I dont' have this issue whatsoever in latin/rhythm. I think it's cause my bunions hurt more in my standard shoes LOL so i supinate my feet.

7. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

It sounds like the Latin dancer in you keeps your feet turned out. You can also have a lot of turning figures that commence with you going backwards (which, if I remember correctly, you seem to do), but all the more one would think that the wearing out would be on the inside edge or the center of the heel.

8. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

I agree with DOI, i have a known problem with this in my feet. I wear orthotics to help with my street shoes and latin, but I don't wear them for smooth, so it wears funny.

i can blow through a pair of protectors in one lesson sometimes. That may be because i'm digging in with my heels a bit too much, tho. I buy in bulk from danceshopper - but if anyone has a cheaper place for supadance slim heels, LEMME KNOW.

9. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Smidra, I've had that issue too. The outside edge gets more work out because your foot is naturally turned out slightly.

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

...Or you can just buy heel protectors that already have suede on them. Save yourself a step and a shopping trip.

11. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

smidra,
    If this is just for training, you could get a strip of leather and cut them into crosses (or x's), and secure them on the shoes' heels using vinyl electrical tape.

This should save you a bundle on heel protectors.

(You could also affix this to the heel protectors, instead of directly on the shoes' heel---if you dance with them in competition---so that your shoe feels the same in training as in competition).

--Think I wrote about this in detail on some post on DF a long time ago.

m