Swing Discussion Boards > Hair up or down?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by SPratt74, Apr 25, 2006.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I have a question for you ladies. I am doing a very fast Swing dance for my solo, and I already know that I'm going to get hot up on that stage. I already have a perfect black Swing outfit that I'm going to wear. So for once the outfit is not the problem lol. This time it is my hair style. I don't know what I should do with it. I'm doing a Cha Cha before hand, and my instructor said that he thought my hair would be pretty both up and down. Problem is that I'm not going to have all day trying to figure out how to style my hair for the Swing dance ater I get done with my Cha Cha as to which again, I'm going to be hot. So, should I wear my hair up or down or sort of both up and down? This is going to be a struggle, even though it will look good both ways in the long haul of things. What do you all feel comfortable with when it comes to the Swing?

2. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

I always find hair down in Swing demos to be very distracting - it might look and feel nice social dancing, but on the stage it's eye-catching qualities take away from the performance, IMHO.

So - I'd go with up. I think it looks best in Cha Cha, and (as I said) in Swing as well. Plus, you get to be cool and comfy! Yay!

3. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, because I practiced my Cha Cha and my Swing today with my hair down and hated it!!! It was in the way, and I got hot and sticky on top of it. I don't want to feel that way during the show. I wasn't sure though with what my instructor asked of me today, but at this point... I think having it in a fashionable bun will do the trick!

4. oxide

oxide New Member

I'd say up :)

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I agree with the up votes, too. But, whatever you choose, choose a style that works for both. Between Murphy's law and the possibility of your being nervous on the day/night of your performance, changing hairstyles between routines might not work out too well, IMHO.

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

When doing serious dancing, my preference is for a partner who has long hair to have her hair up. If her hair is all down her back, it makes it difficult for me to keep my right hand where it needs to be (particularly in smooth/standard, and especially in tango). And, the hairdo won't wind up looking all that great if I have to keep my hand on it.

Not to mention deadly whip-crack ponytails... :shock:

7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh you all are so wonderful! My younger sister came over tonight, and we worked on my makeup and hairstyle. (I should say that I have three sisters not to get you all confused lol.) Well, she styled it up and down five different ways, and we decided on going up, but it's really fancy! She did a lot of twists and things and we are holding my hair in place with bobby pins and lots of hair spray!!! I had her listen to the songs so that she knows the speed, and she agreed that it would be better if my hair were up even though my hair would look really pretty in the dress that I have for the Cha Cha down. But I would rather dress and style for comfort while on stage than have to worry about that at all!!!

8. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Well, I have a similar problem in that I would like to have my hair up for some numbers and down for others. If I use all the product I need to put it up for, say, my tango, how do I get it to look good later for my WCS, etc?

9. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Bring a hair clip with feathers on it and clip away. Or...Bring a comb with a long pic and pull out some of thehair from the updo for a wilder look. (Think Katie Boyles hair when she dances blues with Jason Colacino..I can pull a clip or pics probably)

10. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Thanks! I'll give that a try! If worse comes to worse, I can always just leave it up! We have a dress rehearsal at noon tomorrow, so by the end of the day it may be kind of wild without even trying!

11. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

{broken link removed}
    Katie is the one in the black long sleeves with the red bra underneath...she's got her hair up but with the ends pulled out and sexy/wild looking.

12. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Love it!! Love the dancing!!!! Are you dancing in this also?

13. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No :(

I train with Jason Colacino (in the pinkish unbuttoned shirt) and am a lowly novice dancer. The clip is from Swango. I saw it when it played in Queens -- front row center...the energy in the clip is pretty good, so you can imagine seeing it live!

14. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

So----you are pretty motivated to keep on dancing huh? :) Are the rest of the dancers a part of your group that you might someday dance with?

15. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Using Flash for moives should be banned :(

16. pygmalion

17. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

18. pygmalion

Way to go. You're going to be great. :D

19. Horizon

Horizon New Member

For your performance, I'd probably say up. This is off topic, but I can't tell you how many times I've been whipped in the face by a long pony tail when I'm spinning a girl infront of or around me :) Sometimes I feel like a boxer trying to dodge away from a punch. Hair can really sting!

20. pygmalion

yeah. The whole hair down while spinning thing seems kinda dangerous to me, unless the hair is very short. But to each her/his own, I guess. :cool: