Tango Argentino > Group Lessons vs. Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Learning

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by TomTango, Apr 14, 2017.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I know. And it's been largely resolved since then... but left such a bad taste in my mouth that I've not returned to my previous level of community participation.

2. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

FWIW, Peer-to-Peer is not equal to Advanced-to-Beginner.

And for some (deputy) instructors the outcome may be not sufficiently predetermined. ;)

[​IMG]

3. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

You should offer advice to your friends only when you practice together.

I almost always ignore advice from followers.
    They say something like this, "Do you think I should do boleos myself? Teacher, he doesn't know how to lead boleos!"
    I ask politely, "Show me how to lead boleos correctly!" She refuses.

snapdancer likes this.
  4. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

That teacher Mitra has no money to hire a regular instructor.
    She uses volunteers to teach tango.

It's your choice: pay and study with a volunteer or pay and study with a teacher from Argentina.

5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi FancyFeet, I like your attitude, but still I find, peer2peer learning is a student´s isssue, not a teacher´s. Everyone is free to organize such kind of format, but at least not the teacher or studio. There still are some degrees of interest conflict in the grey zone.

6. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised?

itwillhappen likes this.
  7. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Apart from the fact that you are attributing intent, did you notice your use of the singular vs. the plural in your sentence?

8. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

9. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

I and my partner just call a teacher and ask him or her why something doesn't work well.

10. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

The particular has nothing to do about the discussion about the concept. The point of peer-to-peer learning is that while you have one teacher (who is usually slightly less ubiquitous than the deity of you choice) you can have a lot of peers. But that simple fact seems to have eluded you even while you were actually writing it down.

11. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

I used to do that as well, but if you have group classes and many people do that, then if you start hogging the teacher I feel rather sorry for the other pupils in your class.

Plus: I find your lack of faith [in your partner] disturbing, admiral Motti.

12. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

I don't go to big classes.

There are teachers who are not very famous, but very good. They gather just a few students, so I can try a lot of steps with a teacher.

Gustavo Naveira's classes attract a lot of people, but even then he helps every student.

13. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

Do you want to say that there are advanced pretty dancers who offer to teach tango for free? I have never met such followers. They all want money.

However, pretty ladies hear solicitations every day, "I have a nice floor in my house. Come, we'll practice together."

14. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

That´s an perceptional issue, Vincenze ! Simply change "offer to teach" by "work together" or "spend time on the practice floor", or whatelse and you will actually discover a new continent.

Gssh likes this.
  15. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

"That was some good material, but i don't think im ready to try X at a milonga yet. Would you be interested in trying to work some more on this? We can rent floor space at a studio and split the cost 50/50" is probably a more appealing offer. It is actually not that difficult to find practice partners - milongas might work, but in my experience the best combination is meeting people you vaguely know from milongas at workshops of visiting teachers. The fact that they are going to be gone before the material is properly settled and that it is usually much easier to work on stuff with somebody who had been to the same workshop makes practicing more somewhere else an obvious idea.

16. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

But if so - making an appointment a praktika might be a lot easier. :)

17. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Ah yes. Steps. Lots of steps. So that you can impress people with them.

I'm not so sure that steps are what I would like a private teacher to focus on. If they would use "steps", I would rather hope them to be a means to teach me something else that could use some work.

18. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

I think you just have demonstrated you don't grok peer-to-peer learning at all (or even how knowledge is acquired by the human race. I doubt you're a scientist). And I think you've demonstrated time and again on this forum that you have nothing but scorn for anything you seem not to comprehend.

Oh, and why would an advanced dancer have to be pretty to teach me something? I'll take beauty before "prettiness" any day, and beauty comes in many forms.

19. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

The couples that I observe practicing together are usually: a wife and her husband, a good dancer and a pretty skilled lady.

Once a beginner asked me to accompany her to a private lesson. I felt that I wasted my time and money as our goals were completely different.
    I'll practice with a beginner only if she is special.

If you practice a step with a partner who has been to the same workshop, she can just repeat the sequence. You won't be able to use it on the floor if you don't know how to lead an unsuspecting follower.

20. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Oh, because you're "special"?

You certainly are.

Yeah -- I bet she had the nerve to insist on also getting something that would have benefited her. And we all know it's a zero sum game, right?

Where once again, Vincenze bestows upon us the wisdom that it's "All About Them Steps" (and repeating them, like medieval monks copying a Greek classic).

I think in this particular case you misspelled "hapless".

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017