General Dance Discussion > Glenn Weiss Responds to Resignations

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, May 25, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I see the treasurer had also resigned. I don't know much about him.

2. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

The treasurer resigned yesterday. Other than Weiss, that clears out the entire executive committee determined in the last election. There is the VP for Professional Dance, newly created since the election. However there have been some questions as to whether that was done properly.

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Clearly there is a group of members who want usabda back. Amateur only. And there are others that want s new pro organization. Or something in between

s2k and raindance like this.
  4. DanceMentor

I am open to what Glenn tries to implement. I have known him over the years, and I believe he is one of the more capable people in the ballroom world. Only time will tell if he is able to do something worthwhile. Obviously, there are people in the US that will continue to do all they can to prevent a second organization that includes professionals from gaining traction. However, there are similar battles being fought in other countries too.

At the end of the day, you have to look at the results they produce. Are more people interested in dancing? Is ballroom dancing gaining more interest from the general public?

Right now, Glenn has a pretty fresh sleight from which to begin. With the resignations, maybe this gives him more flexibility to start anew. I hope he does well for the sake of the growth of ballroom dancing, which helps people stay healthy and happy, live longer, and prevents certain ailments like Alzheimer's disease.

When ballroom dancing is growing in popularity it is good for everyone.

On a side note, is Glenn the first World Champion to hold the office of the Presidency in either the NDCA or USA Dance? I'm thinking yes.

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

All you said is well and good. But historically amateur only dancing has been undervalued in the us except by usabda

Will the amateur only couples be neglected/ignored/marginalized again. Remains to be seen

6. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

Elections at the end of last year *was* the fresh start for USA Dance. Members actually had a say in who they wanted to represent them. I was pretty excited about a new EC. Now I feel that fresh start got squandered. Sure you can call this another fresh start, but it's not one that any of the membership has any say in.

bia, s2k, Bailamosdance and 2 others like this.
  7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

What does this mean? I'm confused.

8. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I think he meant slate.

tangotime likes this.
  9. j_alexandra

<headslap> Of course! Thanks, Jude.

10. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Or maybe a Freudian slip.

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

well he is ESL... I have seen far worse misspellings from native english speakers.

j_alexandra and Loki like this.
  12. DanceMentor

抱歉, 我犯一个错误。:) 有时我有太多单词脑袋中。
    不是ESL。其实英文是我的母语。我希望你能了解我的意思。懂不懂?:pomp:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    j_alexandra likes this.
  13. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

A very old English word, deriving from taverns, where one could run a " tab". When the debt was paid , they "wiped " the slate clean.

Also, many houses in the past in the UK , had slate tiles (some still do ! ).

j_alexandra likes this.
  14. DanceMentor

Thank you for that interesting history.

15. tangotime

That source , is also where the saying "Mind your Ps and Qs " emanates. On the "slate" they marked," Pints and Quarts ", abbreviated , as in the amount you were liable for.

16. j_alexandra

Ok, now I'm *really* confused. ;-)

17. tangotime

He's learning mandarin, and practicing, and of course, few if any knows if it's relevant .

18. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

So there's a letter circulating now that Mr. Weiss is campaigning for a spot on the WDSF Presidium.

Some people seem unhappy about this.

Ken Richards is on the Presidium - was anyone unhappy about that when he was President of USA Dance?

What I will say is that I think USA Dance is struggling here at home, and I'd really like the President of USA Dance to be focused on our organization and helping us grow - hard to do if his attention is split, no?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  19. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I think the main difference is that Ken was already on the Presidium, and he only ascended to the presidency when Peter Pover resigned due to health reasons. Glenn was elected in (albeit unopposed) and is running for WDSF Presidium when there are many issues to be resolved here stateside, as you say.

Mr 4 styles, raindance and s2k like this.
  20. DanceMentor

Would it help get WDSF couples to come to the US? I miss seeing them (ex. Embassy). Might help USA Dance get some recognition at home too.