Eating out alone

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Do you ever eat out alone, at a restaurant (just to make the distinction from MacDonald's or another fast food outlet)?

Do you remember your first time? What was the motivation?

What tips would you share to advise someone who doesn't like eating out alone or... is too nervous to do it in the first instance?

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well, I know it's rude...but I take a book....

3. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

How is that rude?

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Won't do it. Given a choice between not eating and eating out alone, I'll not eat. Or find a vending machine.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have just heard that it is rude to read while eating, but maybe that is just when you ARE with someone else?....but the sense i get is that it closes one off to any other possible interactions...which sends a message that some would percieve as rude...lol, clearly that is not my personal view as I continue to do it...but i can see how it might be viewed that way

6. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Hmm I used to eat out alone 3-4 times a week. Down to 1-2 times now. I bring a book. I'll also tend to tip high when eating alone since 1 is about the same about of work for the waitstaff as 2 with only half the bill to get tipped on.

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I completely disagree. I would much rather have a good meal at a nice restaurant, than eating junk food out of a vending machine or eating nothing at home. I don't give a damn what other people might think if they see me eating by myself.

8. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I have no problem eating out alone. However, now days, it seems that most restaurants also offer take out so, I'll take out (and eat at home) what I used to eat in the restaurant alone.

9. LucyDiamond

BTW - I wouldn't think it rude if I saw someone alone in a restaurant reading a book while eating.

10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Neither do I.

11. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

I used to eat alone a lot. I liked eating alone. Also I like watching people. So that was what I did while I was eating alone. Nowadays DH tags along whereever I go. So no more eating alone.

12. LucyDiamond

I love watching people.

13. tj

tj New Member

I'll eat alone every once in a while. And I usually bring a book along, too. :)

14. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I do so sometimes. I often bring a book. It never occurred to me that it might be rude.

15. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

How about this for rude? Talking to someone on a cell phone while eating a meal out with someone who is sitting there in front of you?

16. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:nope: What do I think about it? Topic for another thread? ;) :lol:

17. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

even when eating alone I won't talk on/answer a cell phone call

18. LucyDiamond

What do I think about that? If I said, I'd probably get banned from DF... :wink:

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

nope, not at all. have been eating out alone since i was 20... no prob with it at all.

but i prefer good companionship & great conversation... :)

20. BM

BM New Member

Hm, am one lousy conversationalist. If I ever have a few spare bucks again, I may actually prefer eating alone and people-reading (Edit: occasional hot dates could be fun too, though!). :p