Dyeing shoes to match ballgown?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Liva, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Liva

Liva New Member

Anyone know how one goes about dyeing shoes to match a gown?
    Thank you!
  2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

try doing a search with the key words "dyeing shoes", I think there are several threads with information in our archives....
  3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Are we doing that again? I thought that went out about 10 years ago in favor of the flesh toned ones. Is it back? (Sorry, I'm a bit out of the competition scene)
  4. Liva

Liva New Member

If the gown is in a light color, then yes, one is supposed to dye the shoes for the best look. If it is a dark color, then flesh tone shoes are best.
  5. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Last time I was at Worldtone (23rd Street & 7th Ave) buying shoes, I asked them, they told me at 22nd street (one block away from their store), there was a shoe store named "Chelsea shoes"??? That time I had a pastel colored gown, was thinking of dying my white shoes to match, but I got a lessons scheduled right after shoes purchase so didn't have time to go there; Later that pastel colored gown was sold, so I never actually went there. I only heard other people who dyed their shoes there said they are good.
  6. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

I haven't seen many dyed shoes lately at comps - I have seen white satin shoes with a white Standard dress. If you dye a shoe - start with white satin and take it to any shoe repair store that dyes bridesmaid shoes with a sample of your dress fabric. I was told by DP that shoes are flesh color to match the floor and your legs so that your feet blend in and don't stand out. Just like in Argentine tango where you "earn" the right to wear the red shoes - I would thing that you would have to be awfully confident of your dance feet and technique to wear colored shoes, silver shoes etc.
  7. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

I have read and heard of people dyeing white/beige satin shoes to tan by using strong tea/coffee. And one of my instructors used to dye her tan satin shoes black by using permanent marker. I have only dyed my shoe once, and it was using fabric paint. Afterwards I cover my legs with plastic wrappers and step into the shoe then spray a clear coat of paint over it. That's after the paint has dried, of course.
  8. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Liva, I just took my shoes three times to the local shoe repair shop at Danbury Mall, and they did a very good job each time. They had dye color charts and only asked for a swatch of material that they needed to match the color to. They can only dye white shoes though.
  9. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I've seen a few ladies with shoes dyed to match the dress color at OSB this year. Like turquoise blue, for example.

I've heard a few time (here too, there was another thread on this). that if you attract attention to your feet like that, your footwork is better be perfect.
  10. neakor

neakor New Member

I normally don't like dyed shoes. Any color other than the flesh color makes your feet look abnormally large to me. I just think it cuts off your leg line.

Having said that, the top world pros like katusha, edita and etc are all wearing white shoes when they wear white dresses.
  11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I prefer the look of flesh-tone shoes as well, if they're really flesh tone. *pet peeve alert*
  12. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Back in the day when I was a starving student, I went to the art supply store with my ballgown and a swatch of satin, and tried every pen they had until I found one that was the exact color of my dress. I bought eight of them. Then I would "dye" the shoes with the pen (it turned out to be a highlighter), and wear them until they got dingy and were demoted to practice shoes. I used to keep a highlighter in my shoe bag in case I needed a touchup. It was also nice because I used the tape-on heel protectors with white medical tape, which I could color the same shade of blue after I taped them on.

Depending on whether the pen you end up with is made for fabric, you may have issues with it rubbing off onto your pantyhose, but it generally doesn't show when you put them on - just after you take them off.
  13. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

Very creative!
  14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That's an awesome idea, and actually better, IMV, than the "neon" peach, "flesh-tone" shoes, that most places sell. People come in colors everything from literally white, to pink, to every shade of tan imaginable, to brown, to black. Why is flesh tone peach?
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, Showtime Dance Shoes is in Georgia...
  16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I bought a pair of standard shoes at a comp and had the vendors dye them right there to match my completely pale untanned skin, a very light blush. They were accommodating if not amused.
  17. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

;) good one
  18. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

So I just bought a new dress that is mostly white. Will it look weird to wear nude shoes? I prefer them to white because 1) still working on keeping my feet less turned out in standard and 2) the nude shoes stay competition presentable for longer than white shoes. I just did a bit of YouTube research though and everyone with a white dress seemed to be wearing white shoes.
  19. raindance

raindance Active Member

I think you would be OK either way - nude to blend in with your legs, or white to match the dress. Depends on which look you want, I would think. I personally am not a big fan of the way non-nude shoes draw attention to the feet, even when the footwork is nice. Since you already have nude shoes, maybe try that first and see how you like it.
  20. stash

stash Well-Known Member

My coach told me it looks more put together if you have the white shoes, but it's not aboslutely necessary to have them.