General Dance Discussion > Do women like muscles?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by ticolora, Apr 29, 2017.

?

Do you like a lead with more muscles?

Poll closed May 13, 2017.
  1. Yes

16.7%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. Don't care either way.

33.3%
  1. ticolora

ticolora Member

Question for ladies.

Suppose you are engineering a lead for yourself. You have 100 points to spend. Assume you put enough muscle tone to be a really good lead. Would you spend any extra points for extra muscles - just for the show/feel, and no practical benefits? To rephrase the same question, given two identically skilled leads, would you enjoy one with extra bulk than the slimmer type? Is it something you appreciate/enjoy or notice?

2. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

3. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Most women don't like to be pushed around. Leading is mostly about controlling yourself and very little about physically controlling your follow. How much musculature do you need to control yourself?

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

with muscle bulk, there is most often a loss a of flexibility...therefore, no...not for dance

that being said, even in my personal life, in terms of aesthetic, I generally prefer the muscular build of a basketball or soccer player over the look of a football or even baseball player....

IndyLady and MaggieMoves like this.
  5. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Muscles built in the right way can still maintain flexibility... it just takes the right work. Most men who do muscle building don't focus on flexibility as well.

FancyFeet and fascination like this.
  6. fascination

exactly...and it is also a matter of degree

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Andrey begunov.......nuff said. He is my ballroom spirit animal. As is Ryan Reynolds

8. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

I'd like more muscles on myself. :)
    I could not care less about my dance partner's body type as long as he can dance.

9. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

and if I had OP's points to spend, I'd make sure to get the right height before any muscles

10. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm a guy, so I won't vote in the poll - but my general impression is that from a social dance standpoint, they typical lady couldn't give a rat's behind. From a competitive standpoint, my experience is that it depends on the dance. As much as there are guys like Begunov who can pull the more muscular look off, whenever I get on an exercise jag, my instructor gives me warnings against bulking up parts of my body too much. The shoulders, for example, always get a comment. That is, of course, slightly silly. I'm not saying I *couldn't* bulk up, but it would take vastly more effort that I'm realistically willing to undertake. And even there, there would be limits - I have a comically narrow frame.

11. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Socially - couldn't care less, as long as he can dance.

Competitively - well, he'd better have some to be able to keep up... but as long as they are sufficient to produce the needed effect and handle the training load, we're good.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

My pros absolutely forbid shrugs as an exercise for me. They don't want huge traps. The said they will kill my trainer if he makes me do them lol.

But I love my sumo hi lift with my beast kettle bell (48kg). I just don't tell anyone I do them .... uh wait ... oops:eek:

13. open_mind

open_mind Member

Muscles have nothing to do with the quality of dancing in social situations. I don't care.
    For competitive dancing, I agree lack of flexibility hurts men with more muscles.
    However, it's more pleasing to the eye when partners match in their overall physical built. So if a female partner is tall, muscular or just has a little extra weight, then I think a male partner with a little more muscles would be more aesthetically pleasing.
    I actually know one competitive male dancer who was encouraged to gain weight either in fat or muscles or to match his athletic-looking partner. He was tall, but very skinny and his partner looked out of proportion and even though she wasn't "fat" by any of the common dance standards, in comparison to him, she looked "big".

vit likes this.
  14. fascination

I have been working on all of this with all of my pros for 15 years :)

IndyLady likes this.
  15. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Funny story: three of the pros my partner has worked with have all told him he needs to skip upper body day. Too much muscle gets in the way, they tell him.

raindance likes this.
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago a coach told me my shoulders were over-developed. Since then I've backed off of shoulder stuff and (in regard to the upper body) concentrated more on lats and ribcage.

17. Mr 4 styles

symmetry is key!!

IndyLady and cornutt like this.
  18. SmoothAsian

SmoothAsian New Member

I'm not a muscular guy but I'm well toned and although my leading takes work, I have received comments from women I've danced with that the force I exert is "just right."

Women don't like to be pushed around but they don't want someone meek either. When I first started dancing, my frame was terrible and it was like the women were leading me. Now that I've got a better frame, it feels more natural.

In order to have a good frame, I think core muscle strength as well as being well-toned is more important that bulking up.

19. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yes, muscle tone and the ability to maintain frame and posture is a lot more important than sheer strength. The only place where brute strength matters much is if you're doing lifts, which you won't in casual social dancing.

20. Lai Lai

Lai Lai New Member

No any extra points for extra muscles - "just for the show/feel, and no practical benefit". Neither in dancing, nor personally. All I envision when seeing overly developed muscles is shelf with protein cans (or whatever they intake to help build muscles).