dizzy

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by wannadance, Feb 8, 2008.

1. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

someone here was asking why then do ballet dancers take spotting so seriously, if others are saying it's really not that important or helpful with regards to avoiding dizziness...

I don't know all the ballet terminology, but I think spotting in ballet and in say salsa are completely different things. Most ballet dancers aren't doing repeated, rapid spins as one might do in salsa. In ballet, their pirouettes or whatever are usually combined with a leap in the air, during which they do one rotation, they land, leap again, do another rotation, and so on. So it is much "easier" for a ballet dancer to spot, because they are only doing one spin at a time, and at a much slower pace than a salsa dancer (much less an ice skater!) would. I think when they talk about spotting in salsa, it's not so much a "physical" spotting (I've always wondered how it can be possible to actually spot during consecutive rapid spins) as much as "mental" spotting, or just keeping in mind/visualizing where your start/end point should be for your spins.
  2. noobster

noobster New Member

Check out Baryshnikov doing 11 pirouettes in this clip. He is definitely spotting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb5bN_zTg4M

Also if you search Youtube for 'fouettes' you'll find other good examples of ballet dancers spotting in multiple spins. Here's another amazing clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxf7qemjYs

I really don't think that's true. Check out some of the Emily and Junior routines. Those always have a lot of superfast multiples, and Emily visibly snap-spots them all the way through.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JOXQJpr5-A
  3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Re Yippee's and Noob's posts, referring back to the OP's question, the question is not to spot or not to spot. It is whether spotting is done to avoid or abate vertigo. Aagain I submit that ballet dancers, and all of us, do spot, however, spotting has little to do with not getting dizzy, rather it is an aesthetic. Ballet is about graceful movement, yes, but more so it is about agility, over-extension, and line...aesthetics. Spotting aids, albeit an included part of, this.

To avoid dizziness, we are taught the technique of "blind focus"...allowing the eyes to see, yet not focus on a particular object/place. It is something that we all do at one time or another, btu it is not something that we necessarily know how to control...turn on and off at will. This is where the learning takes place.
  4. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

I just checked out the Baryshnikov clip. That is amazing! Now that I know the mechanics of spinning better, I don't understand how he got the momentum to do 11 pirouettes, AND that he was able to control the speed so that each spin went at the same pace, and that he did it on one foot without "pedalling" or anything. I am just confounded.

As to the second clip of the female ballet dancer, I don't think her pirouettes would be consider "rapid", because between each there is a pause when she puts her free leg out, to help gain momentum for the next turn.

In the third clip, yes, Emily appears to be spotting, but then I guess the next question that comes to my mind is...is someone spotting just because their head/eyes return to the same starting/end point after each turn? Does spotting mean to actually "see" that starting/end point after each turn, or just to be aware internally of where your start/end point is? I would think it's just to be "aware". I know that when I do rapid multiple spins, I am not "seeing" anything, but at the same time, I am consciously thinking about my start/end point for each spin.
  5. noobster

noobster New Member

Yanno, it's not the momentum that's amazing to me so much as the balance. Momentum can be acquired and extended during the spin by using the spot or simply purposely rotating your core and shoulders; but doing that while not falling over requires a lot of control.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. When I do rapid multiples I do see what I'm spotting. I don't see anything else, but I do see the point I'm spotting on every revolution.
  6. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Noobster: what I meant by my last comment is that while I am doing consecutive spins, everything is literally a blur! So it's not like I'm saying "oop, here's my "spot"/my lead's face again...oop, here it is again... and again." I'm not "aware" of seeing anything. I just know that at the end of all my rotations, I want to end up facing/seeing my spot.
  7. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

1. Yes, Baryshnikov is mind-boggling. No comparison whatsoever technique wise, but another interesting view is SF ballet dancer, Amanda Schull's, 42 pirouette/fouette sequence in the ending dance scene from the movie "Center Stage". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo3_U4jquTk (sorry, it's at the end of the 9:04 clip at about 8:40).

2. I believe that you are correct in your "...not seeing...". It is the blind-focus taught in skating and some jazz.
  8. Jonesn4dance

Jonesn4dance New Member

Motion sickness bands

I suggest getting motion sickness bands from a CVS or drug store. They go around the wrist and have helped several of our students reduce dizziness as the work on turn technique. Good Luck!