Swing Discussion Boards > Dean Collins

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Guest, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Looks like Dean wasn't the only one teaching.
    Jewel, of the team Collins and McGowan, was hired to teach Jane Wyatt and Philip Reed "fast hoofing."

2. Steve Pastor

Want to play spot Dean and Jewel in the crowd?

Raper's Who's Who in Swing has the most complete list of Dean Collins films I've seen, and this one isn't in it.

"In the Navy" was brother to "Buck Privates." And then we had "Keep 'Em Flying." They all happened in 1941 while there was already a draft, but the war hadn't actually started for the US.

Hints: 2:39, 3:03, screen left

3. Steve Pastor

I haven't even watched the whole thing yet, but this is too good not to share.

I sort of wondered why Rusty Frank had Dean listed as a tapper, since I hadn't seen much of that on film. Now I know.

tangotime likes this.
  4. Steve Pastor

And, I spotted this yesterday, too.

According to Sykes (seen taking lessons in last post), Dean claimed he had nothing to do with West Coast Swing. (finally found it with a source)

Is anyone familiar with that version of "Satin Doll" and who is doing it, or the "other music" Dean is using?

5. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I would guess the 1st clip is a "studio" Qrq . and the 2nd clip sounds like it could be Basie or Harry James .

In the movie clip, the Orq leader is Lee Kass , and the Musical director is Charles Previn ( Andres father )

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  6. Steve Pastor

They talk about Dean a lot in this video, and a lot of other things.
    Really put a smile on my face to watch this.

tangotime likes this.
  7. Steve Pastor

[​IMG]

Two sources from 1941/1942 list Dean as being in this movie, which was made just before WWII started for the US.
    Whaddaya think? Is that Dean second from right?
    Can anyone ID Connie Weidell, who DID make the lists of who danced in the film?
    Another of the dancers wrote a biography, and I'm hoping he maybe mentions this film, and who he danced with in it, besides his brother, and Ann Miller. He HAS to mention her!

tangotime likes this.
  8. Steve Pastor

"Well glory be, it's raining partners."

So says Dean in "Always a Bridesmaid, " as he grabs Patty Andrews when she walks onto the dance floor to tell a bunch of jitterbugs (really "the Jivin' Jacks and Jills" - Jacks and Jills? sounds familiar) to knock it off. For the next 30 seconds or so, they do what you would expect from Dean. Patty ends up getting dizzy from a continuous whip they dance, and stumbles off the dance floor.

Rusty Frank noted both Patty and Dean in her "Tap!: The Greatest Tap Dance Stars and Their Stories, 1900-1955" book, but doesn't mention that they danced together. And I haven't found much else about this scene.
    Dean worked with the Andrews Sisters in Buck Privates, of course, and this film was made a few years later.

tangotime likes this.
  9. Steve Pastor

In researching Dean's early years... tracing where is family was living way before he became "Dean Collins"... I came across the fact that there is a connection between Dean's father and where he worked shortly after Dean was born and my home town. In fact there were about half a dozen WWI ships built in New Jersey that were named after towns where I grew up.

https://theleansubmariner.com/2013/04/29/the-sinking-of-the-ss-mckeesport/

10. Steve Pastor

Hey!
    Solomon Ruddosky was born just about a 100 years ago!