General Dance Discussion > Daphna Locker Resigns from USA Dance Governing Council

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Bailamosdance, May 22, 2017.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Holding social events to compete with private studios is not a good reason to create a chapter. Plus, it is a good way to create hostility.

s2k and Larinda McRaven like this.
  2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

A lot would depend on how they do it. They certainly have highly qualified teachers now in the leadership, arguably the best ever.
    Melissa Dexter
    Giacomo Steccaglia
    Olga Forapanova
    Glenn Weiss
    Not too shabby. Very capable people. Let's see what they do. A bit early still.

s2k likes this.
  3. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

USA Dance does have an initiative to increase the number of social dance members. Here's how it works:

There's a category for competitions called "Registered" (see section 5.2.3 of the USA Dancesport Rulebook) which is a non-sanctioned competition. Previously a non-sanctioned competition was called "listed". USA Dance has added a rule, not included in their rulebook, that in order to dance at a USA Dance "Registered" competition, the competitor must be at least a social dance member of USA Dance. So I imagine that USA Dance will gain a few social dance members from the local area who'd like to compete at the local comp but aren't otherwise interested in USA Dance comps.

Other than to the bottom line of USA Dance, who benefits from this?

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. DanceMentor

I have seen some competitions in the past that were a social activity. They were not just about who took the most coaching lessons from an expensive teacher. The competition was more something for everyone to enjoy. I'm not sure if this rule change might reflect that but I would like to think that ballroom dancing can be something everyone can enjoy even at competitions.

There was a time when competition organizers were adding more categories so that more people would be able to participate and enjoy the spirit of competition. In recent years it seems that the categories are more designed for profit and the thought that average people just doing it for fun might be participating has all but evaporated because they don't.

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

They need to add back social dancing in the evenings at comps and between rounds if time.

MaggieMoves and Sania like this.
  6. snapdancer

In prior years, it was not necessary for someone to join USA Dance in order to compete at the local non-sanctioned competition. This year it is. The question is: for a local dancer who is not interested in competing out of town, what value do they get for their social dance membership dues? Beyond a quarterly magazine that they weren't interested in reading anyway?

7. Bailamosdance

why does usa dance have power over entries to a competition that they have not sanctioned?

8. snapdancer

Their power is whether or not they list the competition on their website.

I would point out also that USA Dance charges the organizer a fee for the listing, which would be reflected in the entry fees the competitor pays. So requiring the competitors to join USA Dance is effectively a massive price increase to the competitors.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  9. Bailamosdance

How much does a 'sanction' cost? And are there requirements to be met for it, like date or location requirements?

10. snapdancer

Even though the organizer has to fill out a sanctioning form, it's is non-sanctioned event. The organizer has to pay $100 and all the competitors who are not already USA Dance members have to pay dues.

As far as the date/location requirements, those are not published. But then neither is the requirement for competitors in a "Registered" comp to be USA Dance members. I imagine they'll be happy to collect the money unless it conflicts with another event according to their unpublished requirements.

11. Bailamosdance

so, it is to everyones advantage to be non sanctioned? Lower cost for comp, entrants, etc?

I always wonder why the usa dance sanctions for comps were so cheap - it is for example $500 to be an NQE. It couldn't possibly be that the shadow governors have competitions they own, could it? Oh, wait...

12. snapdancer

Let's compare that to what NDCA charges for an established competition:
    "ANNUAL SANCTION FEE: Championships already sanctioned by the NDCA must pay an annual sanction fee of $750.00 dollars, Multi-Day Competitions already sanctioned by the NDCA must pay an annual sanction fee of $550.00 dollars, and Local One-Day Events must pay an annual sanction fee of $300.00 when renewal application is made."

$500 seems inline with that, although NDCA does charge a new event much more the first year, $4000 for a multi-day competition

13. DanceMentor

For me, I received a $2 discount from weekly dances at a local Studio. I know there were other discounts available for which I did not use. But I definitely got my money back from the membership fees just because of the discount. So assuming I went 50 weeks out of the year, I received $100 in discounts on a membership that cost far less. It was well worth it.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  14. snapdancer

There is nothing like that in my local area. And I imagine that very few studios offer such discounts, that your situation is unique.

15. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Very few chapters have weekly dances. Once a month is much more common.

It would be good if USA Dance would have this discussion with the social members and chapters. What would they like from USA dance, what national programs would be useful, etc...

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  16. Bailamosdance

Great idea. We could have passionate, elected representatives tell the GC the thoughts of the members, and then they could act upon the members' needs first. Oh, wait...

17. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

comps over here still have plenty!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just don't see the point in that. Someone hosts a non-sanctioned local comp. The competitors are mostly local. Happens all over America. Now, the comp becomes a registered comp with USA Dance. They have to pay some money for that. And now the competitors have to register with USA Dance if they aren't already, so that's some money for that. That's additional money that has been paid out, for, as near as I can tell, no benefit. OK, the comp gets listed on USA Dance's calendar, but if most of the competitors are local, they already know about it.

Looks to me that if USA Dance wants to persuade comps to become Registered comps, there has to be more benefit to doing so. What can USA Dance do that benefits these comps, and makes it worth their while to register? I'm not asking to be sarcastic; I'm asking because I don't know.

19. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

That's free online or at least back issues are.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Say a comp cannot use their judges unless they are registered?

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    RiseNFall likes this.