General Dance Discussion > Dance Instructor Training Offering

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by TripDubSki, Jun 5, 2017.

1. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Well, he was right. Now may you explain why you side with the studio? Thanks for a prompt answer.

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I am not siding with the studio. I just refuse to join the mob mentality here that first always assumes and accuses studios of being full of sleazy sales ogres. Because after 30 years in this industry I know for a fact that is not how the average studio operates.

And any HONEST studio would of course make sure that potential employees understood the full range of responsibilities, especially for things like sales, when most prospectives are cming in really just because they think it is a free way to learn to dance. Think they are coming in to bounce around and have "fun and dance" for a job with no inkling that there actually is a business to run.

Besides, there is no way of knowing whether or not he was right since he didn't take the job and actually learn about the business from them.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    s2k, RiseNFall, IndyLady and 2 others like this.
  3. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

There is unfortunately way too much truth to this. I've seen this a number of times. People who take a couple lessons, discover how expensive it is, and then have the brilliant idea that they can learn for free/cheap by training to be an instructor instead. Then the shell shock when they discover the dance vs. other duties distribution/expectation of work.

s2k and Larinda McRaven like this.
  4. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

In this case the student wasn't even thinking about teaching, it was proposed by the studio as a solution to not having enough money for lessons. So in this case, I thought it especially important that the OP put in the work to figure out if that was what he wanted. From everything he posted, he thought about it carefully, explored options, talked openly with the studio, etc. And it seems like the studio was pretty open with him as well. Through that process he was able to figure out that he didn't want to make that commitment at this time. I actually think all of that reflects well on all involved.

Some of the posters here (including me) did warn him of potential pitfalls based on things they are aware of happening at various studios. I don't think warning of pitfalls to watch out for is really trying to make all the studios sound like bad guys. There are good and bad studios, and there are good and bad parts of every job, and a spectrum along the way for all that. Good to be aware of what you are getting into.

Thanks for all the updates, OP. I hope you are able to continue your dance journey in a way that is right for you. And I hope you will continue to participate here on Dance Forums.

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

"run like crazy"
    "bilk"
    "Contract mill" as in puppy mill
    "car sales man"
    "shady"
    "blowing Merry Sunshine and you're playing along"
    "Destroyed social life"
    "Doesn't sound like they're willing to invest in a trainee"
    "only needs to be there "at a one year minimum." Which speaks volumes about how they view their teachers"

This is not warning about pitfalls. This is trashing a studio ya'll know nothing about. And now a young man, excited about dancing, just said he "managed to avoid being manipulated out of my time for the betterment of a studio that didn't have my best interest in mind." When there was absolutely no sign of that.

Informing of pitfalls would be encouraging him to read fine print. Understand the difference between a dancer and a teacher. Reminding him the job does entail sales. Work hours are odd, long, and hard. Training is not only about dancing but also teaching and running a business.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017