Ballroom Dance > Credit card or cash for a comp?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by 3wishes, Sep 30, 2016.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

i have been considering using my credit card to pay Pro for comps (all the normal comp costs inclusive of organizer etc etc), vs the fact we have always paid by check. The card would give us credit card points for future use as to our choices of course. Anyone else out there do this for competitions? Just curious.

2. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

No. Most comps are charging a 3% "admin fee" to use a credit card, which is higher than any rewards gained... and I'm cheap :)

Cheque or e-transfer are my preferred payment methods. (I will use a card when there is no surcharge.)

4. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Last pro didn't have CC payments set up so I couldn't pay her for lessons / comps that way. But I pay for 100% of my lessons with my current coach by card (or get comped them for teaching my studio's youth class).

Sania likes this.
  5. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I pay the studio, they pay the comp however they choose to. Studio has told me that their credit card fees are low enough that it's fine to pay them that way--I get more in rewards than they pay in fees.

6. Titoxd

Titoxd Member

Yeah, 3% sounds about right if the organizer is just trying to pass on all the fees to you. We allow competitors to use credit cards in our competition, and our payment processor (Square) charges 2.75% on most transactions.

Now some competitions (like ours) elect to eat the fees to get more competitors on the floor, but as organizers we still prefer checks. No fee > eaten fee. :p

stash likes this.
  7. Lai Lai

Lai Lai New Member

Why don't you, organizers, just increase the entry fees by, for example, 5%, instead of being so cheap and passing your merchant processing fees on us. And why can't you invest in a decent software and set up things like credit card payment accepting and entry submitting online? Same with tablets for judges. Wouldn't it be eventually less expensive to pay one or two IT persons, rather than 10 people running around with papers, manually entering and calculating data?

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What 10 people are you talking about?

And I think your math is bad. I'd much rather pay a 3% surcharge on entry fees than have them increase by 5%.

ajiboyet likes this.
  9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

There are plenty of people who are perfectly happy to use less convenient methods of payment if it means lower entry fees. It seems to me that organizers raising their fees universally would be the exact opposite of their being cheap.

SwayWithMe, FancyFeet and raindance like this.
  10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Those 10 people running around with paper are usually volunteers. As are the ticket-takers, the deck captains, the people who set up the ballroom, etc.

Paid people are usually the judges, the MC, the DJ, the invigilator.

(I say usually, because every comp is different.)

Sania likes this.
  11. Lai Lai

Lai Lai New Member

I'm just trying to understand the industry and find out organizers' point of view, why technologies are not welcomed there. Seem to be lots of room for automation...

12. Rhythmdancer

Rhythmdancer Well-Known Member

the answer is politics. Thats why NDCA doesn't use O2CM but thats an entirely different topic

Lai Lai likes this.
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Nah the answer is that organizers are retired dancer/competitor/teachers. And they are alum from an era of paper. In fact many studios still keep paper offices and logs. Some judges even like having a paper trail of their work. They are not from a tech savvy era. They are not people with business degrees. They are artists. And for many they still live with a notion that to suffer for their art is beautiful.

"see how HARD I am working over here?"

14. Lai Lai

Lai Lai New Member

Now I'm very intrigued to find out more about this topic.

15. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member