Come on, come on, spin a little tighter...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by BrookeErin, Jul 10, 2005.

1. africana

africana New Member

Just realized why my technique for 3 or more spins is actually subpar. I mean sometimes I can do many but sooner or later a bad habit catches up to me. The real trouble zone is the arm/shoulder tension for lead-spins.

I'm sure it's been said a lot: keeping the arm at 90 degrees in front of you, and never varying it, with the right halo overhead. that allow the leader to lead several spins, and if followed correctly, keeps follower on the spot, without significant dizziness

It's harder than it sounds, maintaining that stiff arm...one more thing to work on

This is important because sometimes you have no idea just how many spins the lead wants (especially those that get excited after seeing you easily do fewer spins and decide to up the game to test you haaha!)
  2. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I got some good feedback last night that I am spinning better. I still "don't have time" to get myself prepped for all the technique that is in my head... basically, it's in my head and not in my body at the moment, so I need more warning... but I think I'll get there slowly.
  3. africana

africana New Member

cool! well sometimes the right prep is not provided, so can practice lead-spins without preps, or shortening the prep time? I don't have that down to a science either

Free spins are much easier to control alone, provided you have appropriate momentum and spot (with shoulders square, arms in front of chest).
    I was able to do 4 1/2 from a variant of the cabbage patch move without feeling dizzy or unstable the other night
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Woohoo! :banana:
  5. africana

africana New Member

haha free spins are great fun 8) as long as the partner doesn't pull or catch you too early