Tango Argentino > Cheapest private lessons in Europe?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Andreas Winsnes, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Andreas Winsnes

Andreas Winsnes New Member

I'm staying in Europe this winter, so will appreciate it if anyone knows which European city has the least expensive private lessons in order to learn Argentine tango. Have not danced tango in many years, so don't need a pro level instructor. But like quick progress, by dancing 4-5 times a week, and therefore it will be nice to visit a city where private lessons are inexpensive and other dancers, in clubs, are generally friendly.

Have tried to check the websites of different tango schools, but they usually don't mention how much private lessons cost per hour. By the way, I don't have a dance partner, so a female instructor is necessary. I can travel all over Europe. Doesn't matter if the city is in the east or west. Any recommendations?

(Have posted a similar message in the salsa subsection of this forum, since I'm interested in both salsa and tango.)

2. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

I don't know cities that have private lessons - only instructors. ;)
    But I suppose the cheapest citiy is the one where you don't have travel and accomodation expenses - the one you're staying then already...

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

As tango schools try to keep the pay high, this might be not a good idea. Visit milongas and ask for the young teachers in the second place. I´ve heard that Berlin got a lot of them.

4. Andreas Winsnes

@opendoor

Thanks for suggesting Berlin. Have heard that this city is one of the main capitals of tango, but is it actually likely that I will find a relatively inexpensive teacher if I just show up at milongas?

@itwillhappen

In general, things are cheaper in cities where the cost of living is not high. I'm from Oslo, which is one of the most expensive cities in the world, and the cost of private lessons reflect that. But if anyone is aware of inexpensive instructors in expensive cities like London, Berlin, Paris, Stockholm or Helsinki for example, please let me know.

However, it's best to find a city where apartments are relatively inexpensive too, like in Eastern Europe or Portugal and Greece for instance, so does anyone know approximately how much private lessons cost in cities like Warsaw, Prague, Budapest, Athens or Lisbon for example? Or other countries?

I'm not rich, so need to choose wisely here :)

5. opendoor

..of course not, you have to get immersed completely into the scene which is really diverse. Follow the berlin tango groups on facebook, seek out a starting point (any studio), visit every milona during the week (think there are 13), get into contact with dancers, question them, watch which dancers appeal to you, and so on. Helpfully also might be attending sewing classes for tango pants. You actually will get to know everything there...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  6. Andreas Winsnes

Okay, thanks, will seriously consider this option if I don't find more professional instructors. How much do you guess a private lesson will cost approximately, per hour, if I ask a less experienced teacher in Berlin?

7. itwillhappen

What is the meaning of "professional instructor" for you?
    Someone with a homepage? Someone with experience in what? Someone who teaches as a full time job?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  8. Andreas Winsnes

@itwillhappen

I have to start from scratch because it has been many years since I danced tango, so don't need instructions on an advanced level yet. By "professional" I basically just mean someone who at least has an email address I can use to contact her (or him) before visiting a city, instead of just showing up at milongas hoping to eventually find a teacher.

9. opendoor

These are difficult categories.
    I never had privates in Berlin, so I don´t know the actual tariffs. A popular teacher with his own studio might claim for 60 Euro and above. Ask for bulk discount. A new comer by chance 40 and less?

10. Andreas Winsnes

@opendoor

Thanks for guesstimate, appreciate it :) 40 Euro an hour is my upper limit, so Berlin might be an option, after I have verified that this info is more or less correct. But what about approximate prices in Spain, Italy, Greece, Serbia or Portugal for example? Anyone got a clue?

11. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I'm confused - you are looking for the 'cheapest' but have money to travel anywhere in Europe to get them? Why not look for the BEST lessons? They will be much cheaper in the long run - and you might be surprised that the best costs less than you think. Quality is not based on price....

12. Andreas Winsnes

@Bailamosdance

From Oslo one can get an airline ticket to anywhere else in Europe for less than 150 Euro, and hostels or apartments through airbnb are not that expensive. However, I see your point regarding the value of high-quality lessons. From experience I already know how important it is to get the details right when dancing tango and not get stuck in patterns that are not optimal. So which city has the least expensive high-quality instructor in Europe? Heard that Granada in Spain is good. Is that true?

13. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

I believe the way to go about it would be the following:
    Pick a few areas you would visit.
    Write to several instructors who advertise private lessons in the area. Inquire about their rates. Explain that you plan a visit, and are willing to take several private lessons in a short time slot. See whoever has that availability, and perhaps would even be able to give you a little break price wise on the account of such a package.

jantango and itwillhappen like this.
  14. itwillhappen

Nice try. But you can't get teached tango - your body has to learn it. And a body learns slow, your body too. It needs a lot of time to practice and even more time to dance it on a milonga. I suppose you would waste a lot of time for flights or unprepared lessons.

15. Andreas Winsnes

@itwillhappen

Many years ago I danced tango on a relatively advanced amateur level, compared to the standard in Oslo at the time, but that's so long ago that I need to start from scratch in a way. Private lessons are much more expensive in Norway today unfortunately. Just got a reply from an instructor at a dance school in Nice, France, who takes 40 Euro per lesson if one buys 10. Will probably take that unless others here have a better suggestion :)

16. c955

c955 New Member

As Bailamosdance said, quality is not based on price.

Just as the high tuition fees of a superstar is no guarantee of your learning being a success, neither should lower fees automatically be regarded as better value. Remember, there are no qualifications required to become a tango 'teacher' - anyone can do it!

I know you're working to a budget and you want to reach your objective as quickly as possible (don't we all?!) so you might consider other approaches. For what it's worth, I'd choose a teacher based on recommendation. While the tango world is 'global', it's also really quite small, particularly in Europe. Ask dancers you know who travel abroad to dance for contacts in different countries and then ask them who in their city/country they'd suggest.

Learning stuff 'incorrectly' and then trying to 'unlearn' it is much harder than doing it right the first time!

jantango likes this.
  17. Andreas Winsnes

@c955

Agree that it's best to learn things correctly the first time, because if muscle memory gets stuck in the wrong pattern it can take a while to fix it. Apropos, the police in the US were once trained to always check the safety button on their pistols before firing, and that seemed like a good idea, until a police officer got killed in a shootout because he automatically started to check the safety button instead of instantly shooting back at the criminal.

18. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

It is possible that when learning abroad you will get some different habits that you will need to adapt to local style of dancing.
    So you may be able to dance better but differently and your followers will have difficulty adapting your style.

It is not cheaper at first but I would rather go to a teacher with majority of local students.
    So when working on something during practicas you will be able to discuss and tune in easily.
    Different vocabulary for same things may prolong learning and create frustration.

As far as I know salsa and tango are not so complementary dances so you will get more confused in muscle memory and movement visualization and perception.

19. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    itwillhappen likes this.
  20. Andreas Winsnes

@Vincenze

Thank you, that's great advice :) Apartments in Kiev are also cheap at airbnb and Homeaway, now only have to find a flight to Ukraine, Malaysia Airlines perhaps?

itwillhappen likes this.