Cha cha walks technique

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dakshi, Oct 24, 2009.

1. dakshi

dakshi New Member

Hi !

I'm trying to work on my cha cha walks and locks , and it's unbeliveably hard. I want the foot work and posture and hip all to click together , but ....... hmmm.....

Any tips / suggestions / videos / anything at all ? ? ?

BTW , clips on you tube didnt help me much .

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

afaik:

first step of lock executed like a rumba walk, second step; back foot placed close to knee to calve of front foot w/back heel off of ground, as back heel lowers(without going down), front knee lifts and proceeds from there to take step three also like a rumba walk....hip action going front to back to front over the three steps, making sure that back leg has a nice clean cut at it straightens...I am not the technical expert but of have some modest success...I would also recommend any sort of training video from the big names out there...the ones that I am most often shown are of slavik and karina, and bob and julia for rhythm...but there are many...
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

and welcome to df
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF dakshi!

There can be subtle differences in style of the basics in cha-cha also depending on who you take from. For a good general technical description (fairly detailed) I like the cha-cha dvd "Innovations" by Slavik and Karina.
  5. mad123

mad123 Member

Welcome to DF! Are you working on International style Cha Cha?
  6. latingal

Good catch mad123....I shouldn't have assumed it was International style!
  7. mad123

mad123 Member

:D I hear you - I was about to start typing a reply when the thought hit me.
  8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

The only proper way to dance is on a bent knee!
  9. mad123

mad123 Member

You Rhythm guy, you. ;)
  10. The "Walks" part is like a Rumba walk.... just swing your hips forward and follow with rotation quicker.

The "Lock Step":
    Footwork: 1st step-Ball flat, 2nd step-Inside edge of ball of foot, 3rd step- Ball flat (like a rumba walk)

Hips: Make sure you get 3 hip actions during the lock step.

Make sure you have a side lead for the lock step.

There is more but this is a good start
  11. dakshi

dakshi New Member

Thanks all of you , for welcoming me to DF and for those lightening fast replies . I've taken note of all the suggestions, now it's practic-practice-practice !

And yes , I'm practicing international style latin .

Thanks again :)
  12. mad123

mad123 Member

I would suggest as you are practicing (especially slowly) to pay attention to the transfer of weight, not only from foot to foot, but through each foot. It is this transfer of weight that should create the hip action. In other words the hip should rotate as a response.
  13. mad123

mad123 Member

Also, some teachers want you to accent the hip forward and others back - both are correct it is more of a stylistic choice. Accent back seems suggested more often in situations where your walks/locks are not traveling far forward while accent forward (or so I've been told) is a more up to date method.
  14. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I think the hip action in Chacha lock steps should be more twisted instead of back and forward. It should be faster. Otherwise, it might look very slow. Imagine you twist a towel. I think you rib cage need to be move like that. ;)
  15. latingal

Then the recommendation for the Innovations DVD stands....that is based on International Latin technique.
  16. I never read in any place "Chacha lock steps should be more twisted instead of back and forward".

This note should be judged by some dance gods.
  17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSS bree would like you too!!

LOL i do both latin and rhyttm so keeping them separate is umm err fun:confused:
  18. Mr 4 styles

my latin pro would disagree with this the hip action is pendular here you can articulate your rib cage to create a different look but that is styling and has nothing to so with the feet and hips
  19. caw

caw Active Member

booooo hiss
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  20. Mr 4 styles

a hiss from you has less impact than other peeps given your moniker:D
    ajiboyet and Leon Theou like this.