Ballroom Dance > Certification by USISTD

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mop6686, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

That was not however the original question on the topic of jackets.

If it becomes a more than idle question I guess I'll have to ask the off duty examiner providing preperatory coaching.

My personal feeling however is that in an important dance occasion one gives a better impression of preparedness to demonstrate sound dancing and sets a better example for students by wearing a vest or sweater or other designed to be complete ensemble, than by wearing a jacket out of tradition, removing it, and looking incompletely dressed as a result.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Have checked with one of my colleagues here ( a current Examiner ).. there are "suggested" dress codes for Amat. tests , but the Prof. exams are implicit in the usage of dress codes ( Coat and tie ) ,but no written rules; he also agreed with the " heat " thing ( ask first before removing coat ).. which is the way I remember it to be ...

3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Just reading through the thread, and thought that this is so very well put. Great post.

4. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

while we are on the topic of getting certified to teach, is there a way to get certified to teach very basic levels of dance (ie. social classes??) without having to declare oneself a professional???

...maybe to teach part time...

5. nimmity

nimmity New Member

Really good question, I'm considering options along the same line.
    Similar question: can you be "pro" (with a franchise for example) in one country and am in another?

Once you've been pro is it possible to revert back to am status once you're not being paid for it?

6. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Absolutely! In fact, you can be certified at any level without declaring yourself a professional. The old NDCA rules specifically stated that passing a teacher's exam was not akin to declaring oneself a professional (the new rules don't state it explicitly but passing the exam in no way meets their definition of declaring oneself a pro).

Not in the US. Both NDCA and USA Dance specify that you become pro when you declare yourself professional. Every franchise requires you to do so as part of their sales pitches, and most require their teachers to dance as pros in pro-am competitions with their students. Of course few franchise teachers register with NDCA or USA Dance and I know a number of former franchise teachers who snuck back in to compete as amateurs.

Yes, you can apply to both NDCA and USA Dance for restoration of amateur status. I did so after leaving my franchise. I had to write a letter explaining why I thought I should have the status restored and what I would do with it, submit a history of my dance education, and include the results of all competitions I'd entered as a pro. It took two days to get my restoration approved (the evidence was pretty obvious).

There are a few caveats when your status is restored. For starters, you can only get it reset to amateur once, so no flip-flopping. Second, there's a one-year delay from the judgment to when it takes effect. Third, NDCA restored my status for am-am but specifically prohibited me from competing in pro-am (USA Dance made no such restrictions).

7. Josh

Josh Active Member

The basic rule as far as the NDCA goes is that ANYone can teach, except an amateur in a pro-am partnership. If you are an amateur and dance pro-am, you can't teach any ballroom classes, end of story.

As far as certification, in the US no certification is required for anyone to teach--they are required, however, to be available as an adjudicator for NDCA events.

8. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

My reading of the rulebooks would seem to suggest that while you can take a professional society's membership exam as an amateur, you cannot advertise this credential unless you become a member of that society, and if you become a member you become a professional for competition purposes.

9. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

lots of good information. thanks all.

10. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

<bump>
    Does anyone know why the usistd.org website has disappeared? It was available very recently -- maybe Monday -- but it's "server not found" yesterday and today.

TIA

11. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Looks like just the home page throws a 404. I can see other pages via the index (navigation box).

j_alexandra likes this.
  12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

That's wild. Yesterday, even those pages didn't work. Today, they all do, even the home page. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017