Best Color Gown

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smoothdancingirl, Oct 14, 2003.

1. smoothdancingirl

smoothdancingirl New Member

What is the best gown color for a red head? Blonde? Brunette?

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Interesting question smoothdancingirl... although I don't really think there is a "the best."

Aside from hair color I'd also say that skin tone would have to play a major factor in any such determination. Beyond such predefined variables, however, are the external, venue related factors.

Bright or dark ballroom? White lights or colored lights as well? If so what do blues and reds (lighting wise4) do to the color of the gown? What color is the floor? Light or dark provides for different contrasts as well as different amounts of reflection from the ambient light sources.

Of course some of these variables tend to stay constant at any given venue so, for instance, I know several people who plan the shade of their costuming based on floor conditions...i.e. have multiple dresses but know that one of them is just too dark for "x" event, etc.

Then, of course, there's also the question of what other competitors have on as well. You might have on a fantastic dress but, if 4 other women in your heat have the same color on, you might be better served in a less "ideal" (for you) color, but that will set you apart from the rest.

Just some thoughts...

3. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Black hair-hot pink/electic blue
    Blonde hair-light blue/red
    Brunette-bright coral/burgandy
    Red Hair-peach/emerald

In my own opinion.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

How about black gowns? Or white gowns? (for smooth, I mean) I've seen a few gorgeous ones. But white makes me think about the danger of dancing in the spotlights (see-through gowns :shock: ). And black reminds me of social dance.

Any thoughts?

5. redhead

redhead New Member

White gown always makes one stand out of the crowd, but I think it visually adds a size or two. Black gown looks really nice, but only if it has lots and lots of rhinestones on it (otherwise it reminds me a witch dress).
    Just my 2 cents

6. pygmalion

Cool. I bought a black gown with royal blue stones for my comp! Yay! :D

I'll post pictures after. :D

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

MissAlyssa,

I've been going to competitions for about 10 years now, and as an artist, this is one thing that has caught my attention.

And no, it's not just the woman in the dress that caught my attention! That's another topic?

I think that you hit it right on the money with your colors! I think that any woman could use this a guide, and go up and down the hue scale according to the intensity of their particular hair color and shade of skin.

Black or white always look great, but I believe that "colors," and vivid ones at that, will catch a judge's eyes quicker and make him look longer.
    This is good . . . and this could be bad!

Vivid red and cobalt blues are some winners. Plus some gowns/costumes mix contrasting colors for effect: The Pro that I dance with has a very striking cobalt blue costume lined with lime green . . . think of this in a Waltz skirt??? It really catches the eyes and keeps them there! It's beautiful!

Just my 2(ents worth . . .

8. pygmalion

I generally don't like the dark colors, either. At the last comp I went to, there was a woman doing smooth in a navy blue gown. No visible beading or anything. BORING! Fortunately, she was a beautiful dancer, and that compensated for a lot. She and her partner won everything. (Am-Am comp) Yucky gown color, though.

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I remember seeing one black gown that was aneye-catcher . . .

It was, of course black, but it had black Austrian AB crystals all over it. It stood out . . . was well done, acented just right, but was not over-board!

A very sensuous (Vince-melting, Mmmmm-m-m good) black lady wore it and carried it off like no one else could have!

10. pygmalion

I'll post pix in my gown -- black, with lots of royal and turquoise blue beading all over the collar and bodice, with sprinkles on the full-circle skirt. Really pretty, and looks like it will catch the light beautifully. Plus, I figured, nobody else would be wearing black. We'll see if my strategy works. *shrug* Either way, I'm happy with it. :D

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yeow . . . you made my blood pressure rise :wink:

Can't wait to see the picture of you in the gown and a picture, or several, of you dancing . . .

12. Taita

Taita New Member

Additional 2cents:

Don't forget that the ballroom lights may affect how you will be seen and may be a deciding factor for color/gown selection.

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Just one of several such variables Taita... which is exactly what I was getting at with my first post in this thread. There are no "set" rules... different things work for different people in different situations...

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Blonde - Dark or bright color

Brunette - Light color

Red head - Dark or light color

My 2 cents

15. pygmalion

Okay, okay. So I wimped out and returned my black gown (which had a flaw in it, anyway) And I got a red gown instead. Red is one of my power colors. Did anybody mention skin tone? I guess for some, that goes with hair color. But for me, skin tone, not hair color is a big deciding factor in selection of clothes. Certain colors look great against my skin, and others just don't. Red is one of my good colors. Royal blue is another. Oh well. To each his own.

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn,
    Ah ha, you were listening???????? Red . . . the picture is now complete.

You will look "smashing" this coming weekend . . .

You were in my thoughts as I went walking at 4:30 . . wondering how you are doing and if you are getting excited about the upcoming performance.

Vince

17. pygmalion

Not excited yet. I'll get excited when I get my hair done Saturday! Oh yeah, and when I buy my fake eyelashes! :lol:

For now, I'm just doing the practice drills and trying to conserve my energy otherwise. Things are going quite well. No matter what happens Sunday, I'm okay with it. :D

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

That's kewl . . . and . . . you are ready!

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Our competition could be cancelled . . . it's in San Diego!

20. pygmalion

I'm not sure what to say about that, Vince. I guess I'll just pray that whatever happens, things work out for the best -- competition or no competition, I hope things go well for you. The scary thing about these fires is the poor visibility when driving, even miles away. It's possible there may even be road closures on major highways. It gets really intense. :? :(