Best Cities for Dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Spitfire, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

A hard one to answer since most of us have probably not been all over the country dancing and there are different factors to consider, but what I wonder is which cities in the U.S. and Canada could be considered the best for ballroom and swing dancing. :?:
  2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I think it also depends when you go. I had a great time one year going to the USDC in Miami and hitting the Salsa clubs afterwards. Other than competitions, I haven't actually gone out dancing too much. Oh...one more...I had a great time dancing at the Fairmont in San Francisco. There is a lake in the ballroom and the band floats out to the middle and plays.
  3. Spitfire

As I mentioned in a previous post Seattle is the best place I've seen personally and look forward to it again as I plan to make a return visit this summer.

But I'll bet that Miami and San Francisco are tops. I've heard that Atlanta too has a great dance scene.
  4. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Boston has a pretty happening social dance scene, lots of Swing (EC and WC) and more traditional ballroom, a pretty hot Latin scene, and even some Hustle rumblings as well.

www.havetodance.com
  5. Spitfire

Phil, good to see someone else from Dancescape here; I'm known as ghostdancer there. Just posted a reply to your hustle thread there.

About Boston; I was dancing with a lady from Boston at this place in the Seattle area when I was there last August. Now Seattle has a great scene and she told me that she did not think is was so great after being so use to the Boston dance scene, so Boston must really rock!
  6. DanceMentor

Welcome to the Forums, Phil Owl!
    I hope you'll become an active member and keep us posted about dancing in Boston. It's also good to see some people from Dancescape. I didn't realize you or Spitfire were members there. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to send me a private message.

I don't have too much to say about Boston, except I visited the airport once. I do really like that part of the country, though. I've been all over New York state and also coastal Maine. Hopefully, I'll be able to visit Boston sometime and do some dancing. :)
  7. Laura

Laura New Member

Just to clarify...the lake is in the Tonga Room, which has a tiny dance floor -- about the size of an average living room. Still, it's good fun and the drinks are REALLY good. The actual ballroom itself is also nice -- I recall that the ceiling was painted prettily and that there was an upper balcony you could spectate from.

It's kind of a shame that the Sapphire Ball won't be there anymore -- it's moved to Texas -- but since no one was going anyway I guess it's all for the best. I just liked competing at the Fairmont. Oh well, the Tonga Room lives on!!!
  8. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Thanks very mcuh Dance Mentor! This looks like a fun forum too!! I'll definitely be a regular poster here too.
  9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Add One :<)

Hi Phil and Spitfire...add one to the count of Dancescapers with multiple "citizenship"!

Now about Boston...I've been to several of the ballroom studios there (all of which I found to be good) but was really disapointed with what ltittle salsa I could find. Maybe I didn't know where to go? Everyone kept telling me to go to Sophia's, but while the band and the energy were good, on several visits most of what the DJ played wasn't salsa (and I'm talking about going on what was, ostensibly, a salsa night). Any suggestions for where to look the next time I'm in town?
  10. Spitfire

Re: Add One :<)

Welcome SDsalsaguy,

Not familiar with Boston, but just wanted to tell you that I want to travel to San Diego next year. I am told by people here who have been to the Champion Ballroom that it is tops so I'll want to check it out. :D

There was a guy from SD who was at the monthly swing dance here last Saturday, but can't recall his name, but he is active with the swing and lindy scene there.

See you next year? :D

Tom
    aka Spitfire/Ghostdancer
  11. SDsalsaguy

Thanks Tom,

Definitely let me know when you'll be coming to San Diego! I'll be happy to let you know about various dance happenings here in town.

--Jonathan
  12. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Re: Add One :<)

Try this site:

http://www.salsaboston.com/
  13. SDsalsaguy

Thanks Phil,

The last time I was in Boston that site was down, so I had forgot that it was there.

Out of curiosity, are there any decent places for social ballroom? Regular studio parties, etc.?

--Jonathan
  14. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

There are:

Tempo Dance Center has fun Hustle parties on alternating Fridays and Sundays www.havetodance.com/tempodancecenter

Supershag: Every Friday AND Saturday night, mixed ballroom www.supershag.com

Swing City: Every Friday EC Swing/Lindy www.wannadance.com

Hope that helps
  15. SDsalsaguy

Thanks Phil.

I'm not sure when I'll be back in Beantown, but I still have family there so, sooner or later...
  16. Spitfire

Thanks Jonathan,

Either June or July of next year most likely; certainly not later then August. I would feel compelled to do so this year, but have plans to travel back to the Seattle area this July; that's another great "dance" city.
  17. SDsalsaguy

Just as well...I would have been happy to give you a heads up but, this summer, I'm hoping to be out of town doing a circuit of all the major European comps. Next summer, in addition to still paying off the credit card bills I'm sure to amass, I should be around a lot more.
  18. DanceMentor

Alright! It's the first post to reach 2 pages! :eek:
    My wife and I are still trying to decide between:
    Calgary and the Canadian Rockies
    Arizona and New Mexico
    LA driving North up the coast

I've never been to any of these places. The main factors are money, dancing and scenery. We are going in early June.
  19. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Best citites to dance in

The Arthur Murray Family of Dance schools is world-wide and our students enjoy the freedom of attending group classes and dance parties where ever their travel may take them. One of the many benefits of becoming an arthur murray dancer/student. (It is all included in the tuition!) Check it out.
  20. SDsalsaguy

One definite thing to consider is what type of climate you’d like and/or are ready to deal with. I’m not really sure about the $ part of it, but my guess is that the California coast is a more commercialized region then the other two and the associated expenses are likely to reflect this. As far as dancing, however, that is most likely to be your strongest option by a significant margin. But on the scenery front I’m again going to have to think that both Calgary and the Canadian Rockies & Arizona and New Mexico are stronger options. The north rim of the Grand Canyon (the southern rim is the one that actually gets the majority of tourism) is absolutely stunning, as is much of the open highway in New Mexico. I’ve never been to the Canadian Rockies but I’m sure those are breathtaking as well. Anyway, just my 2¢