Average age of salsa dancers

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by amrimi, Jan 28, 2005.

?

I'm ...

1. under 18

99.3%
  2. 18-21

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 22-26

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 27-30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 31-35

0.7%
  6. 36-40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 41-45

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 46-50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 51-60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. older than 60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. amrimi

amrimi New Member

I would like to know what the average age of Salsa dancers here is. Maybe you can also give a comment the average age in your local scene.
  2. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I'll be 29 this year.
  3. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I think our salsa scene is very diverse (and accepting of all kinds of diversity - age, ethnicity, profession, skill level). It's one of the things I really like about the salsa scene.
  4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Over here it's 20's for ladies, 30's for men. Retired guy I just met said he tried to get a salsa scene going in his town(the one next to mine) and it wasn't working because his ballroom group just didn't seem to groove with the younger salsa dancers. I think that's too bad, but it does happen...
  5. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Most people in my scene are in their mid-20s to early 30s.
  6. Sounds good - mostly people of my age. I hope someday I can make to Bucuresti for some days - maybe combine the trip with a trip to Mamaia. If not this than next year. Keep in touch..
  7. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Although I am just a beginner, I checked a box....I thought you needed a little diversity towards the upper categories. Most of the students I have seen in classes have been older, but the people I have seen dancing salsa are younger. Maybe young folks can pick it up easier and don't need all the classes. Or maybe us older ones are just finally getting the salsa bug.
  8. tchaguito

tchaguito New Member

late twenties, early thirties...
  9. Kindra

Kindra New Member

I'm 25...not too sure what the age group is in the DC scene...
  10. africana

africana New Member

I've been part of two large but very different scenes and from what I've seen I'll say that age does make a significant difference in feel of the dance scene - scenes with younger crowds tend to look and feel more energetic and dynamic, and scenes with an older crowd (like the one i'm in right now) seem to keep things simple and a bit slower
    We defintely need more people my age here!
  11. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Mid 20's to mid 30's
  12. Vin

Vin New Member

You'll be fine, early 20's to mid 50's is the first deviation.
  13. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Here, the majority (which includes the 'lesson-paying, congress-going' group) would be mid 20s to mid 30s.

The wholes scene ranges from late teens (18 is the legal age at clubs here) to mid 50s.

Then you get 'show biz families'.......musicians/dancers bring along their parents and kids to gigs or family/outdoor events; anywhere between 6 mths & 96 8) .
  14. volleybgrl

volleybgrl New Member

In Boston the dancers are typically in their 20's and early 30's, though there are people of all ages grooving to the same music at the same clubs. It's kinda nice :)
  15. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

I turn 29 last week Monday :D at the club I dance at the age stretches from as young as 7 (during class time that is......she leaves after class when the 'club dancing starts :lol: ') to as old as 70 odd :D
  16. SalsaWinnipeg

SalsaWinnipeg New Member

I just turned 24 two weeks ago. My girlfriend threw me a surprise party and invited a whole bunch of dancers to the studio where I teach. I walked in to find about 50 people from our Salsa community. Best party I ever had. Had no idea so many people would show up for my B-Day... :D
  17. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! :D
  18. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Happy birthday! I am glad the party was cool!
  19. leaf

leaf New Member

It used to be mid 20s to 40-ish and the scene got younger over a few years, now it's between 18 to late 30s. I was 26 when I started learning salsa... wish I've came across salsa at 18!
  20. RugKutta

RugKutta New Member

I'm a young 22 (just turned 22 in December). I'm normally one of, if not THE younges salseros wherever I go. Most everyone else is at least in their mid-twenties to early thrities and up. I've been taking classes/dacing since I was 19, but I didn't really start getting out and dancing until about a year ago (I had just turned 21 at that point, so until then I wasn't able to get into any clubs).