Ballroom Dance > Attach fringe

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancewi, Nov 28, 2011.

1. dancewi

dancewi Member

Hi!
    My latin dress is almost finished and now im a little confused about attaching fringe on it.
    So ive seen dresses with a little different way to attach fringes - every strand of fringe is pulled out and attached to the dress.
    Like on this dress:
    http ://www.dreamgown.com/pre-owned/ballgowns/pre-owned-ladies-latin-dresses/m194-flame-red-latin-dance-dress/
    So I pulled out every strand of fringe and i tried to glue them on the fabric - but i decided that it's not a good idea because i could see glue spots on the other side of fabric.maybe i need a different type of glue? i used gem-tac and jewel it.. i also tried to sew a few strands on fabric, and it seems to be a better idea.
    is there any other way i can attach fringe??
    Thanks!

2. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

Hi Dancewi - First congratulations on your dress!

Yes -there are a number of techniques for applying fringe. I like DSI - Dancesport International white glue which dries clear. This glue can be ordered from England and it is worth the expense. Depending on the dress - you can sew a line of fringe straight across or on a diagonal.

But, many dresses have more dimension by cutting the fringe (with the top of the fringe intact) into 1" pieces and glue them on at the top. You then put two small Swarovski crystals on top of the fringe at the top of the piece. You can stagger the fringe pieces in rows (don't line them up which defeats the purpose of having bits of fringe) which again adds more dimensionality to the movement of the fringe. If you PM me a photo I can give you more advice.

3. cabbagefairy

cabbagefairy New Member

I'm just about to put fringe on my first latin costume too (I've been lurking about here for a while, hi everyone)

Is glue going to be strong enough to hold the fringe on if I do mine in small sections? or is it best to sew them?

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

glue is fine if it is going to be done in small pieces...I have seen it done that way... but it has to be the right kind of glue

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I have one dress (Latin) where they attached the fringe by taking a long piece, doubling it, and at the "u", glued it down with 2-3 stones over it. It worked well (you can see glue spots on the inside--I know the dressmaker used GemTac--but really, who cares what the INSIDE of the dress looks like) though once a whole piece, stones and all, went flying off the skirt during a round! A judge picked it up and came over to me after we were done and said "I think you lost this."

6. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

I highly recommend the DSI glue or Chrisanne glue- I've tried lots of different glues and DSI holds 1" pieces of fringe and stones without looking like there is tons of glue on the dress. I also don't have glue showing on the inside of the dress. The exception is lycra (different then dance crepe) which absorbs TONS of glue and is hard to work with for stoning or fringe. If you have a chance - go look at fringe dresses at the booth of a top dress designer and see how the fringe is attached.

7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF cabbagefairy!

8. cabbagefairy

cabbagefairy New Member

Thanks LatinGal. Looks like I'll give gem tac a go, and maybe stick a sequin or something on the under side to cover the glue (the skirt is long cut on an angle so you will see the inside)

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi cabbagefairy! Welcome. :-D

A sequin on the inside sounds like it might rub and might be painful. Not sure what to suggest as an alternative, though. :-?

10. dancewi

dancewi Member

Thanks for the answers!
    Well, i decided to sew fringe instead of putting glue on it.
    I bought transparent thread, and i think it's gonna look great.
    I just need to finish the dress...I am stuck with the top part..
    It's not that easy to make a nice shape.. :/
    Off the topic, but because I made a mistake while working on the top part, I am thinking instead of doing the regular "straight" design, to wrinkle it a little bit.
    It's hard to explain, but it looks something like that.
    http ://celebrites-selection.com/photos/displayimage.php?pid=52320&fullsize=1

Oh, and the whole dress is not wrinkly. Just the top. And the cut is not that deep :)
    I hope it doesn't look too weird?

11. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

why not try E6000?

12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Because while it dries clear, it smells for a week and is incredibly toxic?

Don't get me wrong, if I stone my shoes I'll probably use it as it sticks a lot better, but it seriously look a week to air out a skating dress that had maybe a couple hundred stones tops on the collar and cuffs, let alone doing a whole ballroom dress. (Skating dresses, okay, I've cartwheeled hitting a foreign body on the ice and it's a safety issue so you use the strongest adhesive possible, but when I'm doing the ten or twenty times the stones for a ballroom outfit I'd rather use even Dazzle-tac, which is a jewelry glue that's similar but not nearly as nasty with fumes.)

And a glue tip-I've been using Dazzle-Tac for my steampunk jewelry and I read a tip on-line that oil (cooking oils like olive or vegetable) would get the glue off your fingers. I tried it with corn oil, and it actually works!

13. dancewi

dancewi Member

My dress skirt is long too, so you could see the glue.
    Maybe if the fabric was black, you couldnt see glue, but now that i chose it white, you can see everything haha.
    Thats why i decided to sew them on.
    It's the best idea.
    And it is gonna hold the fringe so much more than glue.

14. pygmalion

And you can choose black thread.

15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

E6000, double or single strange, rhinestone/paillete/sequin over the glued end

Barring that, get thread to match the fabric.

16. pygmalion

This.

17. cabbagefairy

cabbagefairy New Member

In case someone tries to do this is future, I ended up chopping the fringe into 1cm wide pieces and hand sewing them all over the skirt, To cover the entire skirt I used about 4 metres of 15cm long fringe (short on one side going down to just below my knee on the other). Took FOREVER (in fact my comp dress rehearsal is tomorrow night and it still won't quite be finished!)

18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

thanks for following up on this cabbagefairy! always good to know what's involved going in!

19. Aurora Rose

Aurora Rose New Member

Thank you!

I was having the same issue and this helped a lot. :D

20. polishbloo

polishbloo New Member

I have a dress that needs to have rows of chainette fringe. How would I put it on? Would i glue it or hand sew it or use a machine?