Anyone Remember--The original Dance Fever

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Phil Owl, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Anyone here ever watched the original Dance Fever from the late 70's to late 80's?

Man I wish there were tapes or DVD's available of the original show, as this is what inspired me to take ballroom dancing lessons way back when.

It had its share of memorable moments, like:

• A couple that did this Arabian sort of thing with Scimitars, and good old Denny cautioned us "Don't try this at home" (DUH!)

A couple that looked as if they were having a bad night (shoes flying off, tripping and such) then realized it was totally on purpose, comedy ballroom dancing if you will. They won that particular night

Many of the Hustle couples were great, very fun and sexy to watch (they seemed to love the old "pull off partner's skirt while twirling" thing)

Frank Zappa being a judge one night (that was BIZARRE!!! Especially considering he had just come out with an anti-disco song not long before)

Any thoughts comments or rememberances?
  2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Phil Owl,
    Ouch, did you bring back some memories . . . I used to dance at a Disco club back then, and had a dance partner who had one of those tear-away skirts . . . it was a short-lived partnership, as she had an over-jealous non-dancing husband who put his foot down and ended her dancing career! They are divorced now . . . she loves C&W music and dancing . . .

Anyway . . . thanks for the stroll down memory lane!!!
  3. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I vaguely remember it...I was truly a youngsta then! :lol:
  4. MagicFeet

MagicFeet New Member

OK! I had to register on this board! You guys just have the greatest topics!!! I have been reading it for about 3 weeks now and decided that it was time to register.

About original Dance Fever:

i wish that I could remember more of it although I watched it frequently, I probably wasn't paying that much attention to it then.

A few months ago, I started an extensive search to see if anyone had any available recording of this show. I would have loved to start a library or collection of sorts. After many nights researching the web and asking questions, I stumbled upon a post that said that Merv Griffin (owner of the rights to Dance Fever) had burnt all of the footage after Deni Terrio filed suit against him. The idea behind it was that he will never be paid royalties if the show would ever air again.

I don't know for a fact if this statement is true or not, just stating a previous post from another board. It would be a shame as I am sure that many of us would love to see these episodes again.

What prompted me to look around is that one of my dance teacher was a guest dancer on the show with his partner and they were asked to dance a Salsa piece! I wanted to see if I could find the episode for him.

If anybody ever finds a source for some of these shows, I would be more than happy to make DVD's out of them. Let's keep searching !!

Bernie
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

MagicFeet,

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the great info. :)

Isn't dance-forums.com a great place to be? :wink:
  6. MagicFeet

MagicFeet New Member

pygmalion,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I think that this forum is great! It seems like I know all of you by now since I've been reading for a few weeks.

It's nice that people are not afraid of sharing ideas and suggestions amongst themselves, and the topics are great!
  7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

MagicFeet,

It seems we have much in common. I also did a similar search and came up with nothing.

I am also interested any episodes of American Bandstand hosted by Dick Clark. Apparently, there is a similar lockdown on this show.

It just doesn't make any since, does it?

I also have some good news. I don't have the name of the show, but I know the BBC aired the longest running dance show ever featuring ballroom dancing.

Get ready...

This is awesome...

BBC is going to release there entire archive, not just this show, their ENTIRE ARCHIVE. Now that's entertainment! There will be full public access. Could this be the start of something?

If anybody know the name of that show, please chime in.
  8. MagicFeet

MagicFeet New Member

This would be great! I just hope that the format will be good enough for TV viewing and not a 3" x 3" square on your monitor.

I am sure that you have seen this link before to "Disco Step-byStep" .

http://www.discostepbystep.com/videos_loc.htm

They seem to have about 11 episodes of their shows available, but it also seems that the cost of duplication is exhorbitant although I never did call to confirm the price seen on their web site.

It would be great to see these vintage episodes again!
  9. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I don't think I watched that... :? :shock: :lol:
  10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Hiya MagicFeet...sorry to be late with my welcome but, as you may have noted, I've been away fro the past week. Just wanted to chime in anyway though, and let you know that I'm glad to have you here as a participant now.

—Jonathan
  11. MagicFeet

MagicFeet New Member

Thanks SDsalsaguy,

I am happy i joined although I have been quiet the past few days and probably will be for the next 3 weeks. I am heading to Italy in 2 days.

I have read many of your posts and your contribution to this board is something that I look forward to reading!

Hey, BTW ... Anyone knows good places to dance Ballroom, Hustle or Salsa around Venice? :)

MagicFeet
  12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

*blush* :oops:
  13. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Check out this site if you have time: www.historicfilms.com

They actually have available 2 episodes of "Disco Magic" which was out (on CBS) at the same time as Dance Fever.
  14. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Wow! Memories...

I loved Dance Fever. I really wish they would re-air old episodes. Did they have rotating guest judges??? I think so, but can't remember.
  15. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Yes, there were a different panel of celebrity guest judges every week, the most bizarrre being the one and only Frank Zappa! :O
  16. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

17. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

18. alemana

alemana New Member

19. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Very true indeed!
  20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

How'd you find the old clips, Phil? :cool:

Somehow, I'm guessing that waltz wasn't exactly the most popular dance on the show. lol.