Dancers Anonymous > Anybody coffee up before lessons?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by nucat78, Feb 26, 2008.

1. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I used to drink a LOT of coffee in college but I switched to tea or Pepsi for my caffeine and got to the point where the smell of coffee nauseated me.

A new coffee joint just opened within walking distance of my home and I thought I'd try a Cubano just for the heck of it. Not only did I like it, but I thought it gave me a mental lift.

Ok, so here's the dance connection. Sometimes at lessons I feel foggy and/or sluggish, especially after a nasty day at work. I'm wondering if having a small coffee before lessons might help the learning process.

Any experiences to share? Am I way out in left field on this one? Is there nothing that cures dance stupidity? :p

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

no, but my lessons are during the day and I tend to be over-stimulated in general...no comments from the peanut gallery

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I exist in pretty much a continual state of over-caffeination. No real pre-lesson additions, with very rare exceptions. (Like the one time I was in such an exhausted, foul mood that my teacher refused to start the lesson until I'd drank half of the large coffee I had with me.)

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ditto.

i do sometimes stop for a doppio macchiato before my lessons, tho, but more cuz it chills me out than for a caffeine rush. for lessons, i want to be energized but relaxed.

to be honest, i have dragged myself out for late-nite lessons more than once after very long days at work & very long commutes & very little sleep... and i've walked in completely bleary and barely able to keep my eyes open.
    i have always been revived by the dancing & driven home wide awake.

5. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Agreed, I'm always jacked *after* dancing to the point that it takes me a couple hours to relax. I'm just wondering if having a cup of coffee is a way to be a little more alert during a lesson if I'm dragging.

Well, salsa tonight so maybe I'll experiment and see how I feel.

6. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm so sensitive to caffeine that the diet coke I had yesterday at 6pm kept me up until 2am. I only have something before lessons if I'm really dragging (like yesterday) and then I pay for it later (like today).

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I think I almost always have coffee before lessons. but thats a keep-alert-so-that-you-can-drive rather than dance thing. As above, once on the dance floor the magic mojos kick in... (see below!)

8. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

I usually don't start dancing until the evening, but have coffee during the day. I do tend to be more tired at night after a long day's work, but once I start dancing, that fatigue usually goes away. As far as concentration though, coffee definitely helps. Being crabby is one thing during a lesson, but being tired can ruin good concentration.

9. noobster

noobster Member

Well... I avoid coffee before dancing because it gives you coffee breath.

Coffee breath is not as foul as alcohol breath, garlic breath, or just plain bad breath; but it's not particularly nice either and I know several people who find it very unpleasant.

I switched to mostly tea some years ago anyway; these days I only have a coffee as a special treat (very good coffee only) or if I really really need it to stay awake. Bonus is, now it actually works for that.

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I seem to get more wired on tea now - it didn't used to affect me at al. Both have caffeine in but I wonder if tea has something different too....

11. lcdancesport

Oh yeah, coffee breath is pretty darn bad, even with brushing!

12. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I rarely drink coffee, mostly tea. But I often have a diet Pepsi before/during lessons. I read a study somewhere that showed that caffeine extends stamina during exercise and I definitely find that to be true. I *always* have a Pepsi to sip on between heats at a comp.

13. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I would never say no to a coffee ( if its good and unadulterated by Italian Expressionism)
    but never felt the need for it before a dance class, though I might have a flask for a daytime workshops or two.

My concentration is

14. lcdancesport

What if the coffee is made by an Italian, I can find some expressionism through dance for you? Ooh a coffee dance! Wait what? :p

15. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

16. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

After just about any form of exercise I seem to experience a period of awakeness, yet eventually the rest fo my tiredness kicks in and I'm out like a light. If I have been getting plenty of regular exercise, I experience this after social dancing, too. Otherwise I experience this some ways through the dance, and when I get tired, it's time to head for home before I get too sleepy.

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

The secret? Buy one for your partner... :)

18. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Not a coffee drinker...sometimes drink decaf lemon and honey herbal tea...very seldom drink soft drinks...during lessons Vitamin water or plain bottled water...

19. BM

BM New Member

Usually alright when I drink coffee, but yesterday was pretty odd for me. I initially felt light-headed during practise, which was completely unexpected, since I had slept the night before and eat breakfast earlier. After practise, but before the lesson, I had an iced latte. For maybe 45 minutes, I was bouncing-off-the-walls-wired. After that, and maybe a half hour before my lesson, I was a zombie, and felt physically ill. I took a quick nap and felt better for the lesson, but the roller coaster was quite a surprise (and unfortunately, not much of a pleasant one).