General Dance Discussion > Ann Durocher resigns from USA Dance Governing Council

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by snapdancer, May 7, 2017.

1. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

The following post by Ann Durocher appeared in my Facebook news feed:
    Dear Friends,
    As most of you know, I do not post much on FB, but today I feel it is appropriate that I make a post, as some of you have placed your trust in me when you voted for me as the Senior VP of USA Dance. I want you to hear it from me that I have resigned my position with USA Dance as of today. I do not derive my personal power from positions of authority nor do I have a personal agenda when it comes to my volunteerism. With that in mind, I choose not to spend the last good years of my life taking time away from the ones I cherish the most while working in an environment where those in the power seat do not value my opinions, the work I do and who marginalize my voice. I am sorry that I have let you down if you voted for me, but remaining in the position would likely jeopardize my self respect and it is best for the organization that I move on.

I am surrounded by the love of a wonderful family and the very best friends anyone could ever hope to have. I do not look back with regret or anger. USA Dance has given me a purpose outside of myself and I have been able to give to others along the way. I am happy to look forward and I realize just how blessed my life is.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

If they can't work with Ann , they are hopeless

raindance and Bailamosdance like this.
  3. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

As the good people are forced out, the membership follows

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

In theory, but I think doubtful in practice. What does NDCA really offer am-am couples?

That's not a slam on NDCA, just a question. IME dancing am-am at NDCA is not worth the time or money compared to an NQE.

s2k, Requiem and Mr 4 styles like this.
  5. Bailamosdance

It's not a choice between USA dance in the NDCA but a choice between USA dance and total independence.

6. Mr 4 styles

I plan to chat with Ann. I find this occurrence distressing .Ann is an awesome person and really just wants dancing to grow

s2k and raindance like this.
  7. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Further developments; the following posted on Facebook by Irina Feingold within the last hour:
    Today I resigned from my position as DanceSport delegate on the USA Dance Dancesport Council. I want to explain my decision to you, people who voted for me.
    The decision has not come easy for me. I fought hard for interests of the dancers but after careful deliberation have come to the realization that I can defend interests of the dancers better by being an outsider rather than an insider of the organizational bureaucracy.
    Let me explain the decision to you.
    The current leadership of the USA Dance uses all means at its disposal to systematically push out elected members of the council and replace them with people chosen personally by the president of the USA Dance without regard to their fitness for the position. At times these people were not even members of the USA Dance at full standing or were members for less than a month, but were close associates of the president.
    Loyal and devoted members of the organization are being systematically marginalized using means that I consider unethical and unprofessional, forcing people who have proven themselves as capable, energetic, long-term supporters of the USA Dance either quit or be pushed aside.
    As time progressed, the will of members expressed during the election was ignored, diversity of opinions was discouraged, opinions of amateur dancers and professionals that did not belong to the circle of the president were also ignored. The transparency that was promised during the election gradually disappeared and members of the council who had different opinions were discouraged from discussing these disagreements with a broader community of dancers.
    Dishonest tactics are used to push through agenda items initiated by the president and his close confidants without proper preparations and discussions.
    In my opinion, interests of the members are being held subservient to interests of certain completion organizers. Hypocrisy runs rampant, and what is forgiven to the president’s inner circle, is used against people with dissenting opinions.
    While being highly skilled in technical aspects of the dance sport, current leadership managerial skills are unproven, conflicts allow to fester and affect the health of the organization.
    By being an outsider I will be free to express my opinion about events and decisions, and do what I wanted to do to serve the dancers and particularly senior dancers community without being pressured into silence, and enjoy the beauty of dancing again.​

8. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Very, very sorry to hear this.

bia likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

This is a serious problem

bia, raindance and Bailamosdance like this.
  10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Intriguing idea. What would you envision the comp landscape to look like?

11. Bailamosdance

I think what I meant to say is that membership in one organization does not preclude dancing in other organizations' competitions. Sadly, USA dance made assertions that they represented their members in the Dancesport world, but in reality only represented members to their own competitions and situations. For example, if I needed help when I was at someone else's competition or event, membership at USA dance means nothing. So I think in the long run, at least for amateur dancers, independence from USA dance's fights and power struggles with other organizations and the governing members' need to make money off the members with competitions gives me a wider choice of venues and possibilities than the lockstep required ro be a true Usa dance memeber, ready to fight the battles the governing elite chose to fight on the world stage.

12. Mr 4 styles

Currently an am am couple can dance in any organization they want. They just have to join

That's a bit off topic and has been discussed before

The real question here is what are USA dance current leadership's new goals that seem possibly to be not aligned with their previous goals and mission statement

Sania, s2k and snapdancer like this.
  13. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

"Elections have consequence" -Barak Obama, 2008

14. Bailamosdance

Or their campaign promises

15. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

That was my original point in my reply to BD. If you want to compete at USAD, you must be a member. Since NDCA seems to treat am-am as an afterthought, am couples have little choice but to be USAD members, regardless of who's running the org or how. You will not see a mass migration anytime soon.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  16. Elections do ave consequences, however when the elected officers are bypassed by one person and his appointed dircetors you no longer have a democratic organization beholden to the members but instead have an organization beholden to one and benefiting the few. Not what USA Dance once was or tries to portray itself as being now.

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

NDCA only selects the top level couples to bribe away from USAD, anyway.

18. Bailamosdance

Interesting and also provocative accusation. Do you have any proof of this, or is this just conjecture or propaganda on your part?

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That they bribe, or that it's only top level couples?

20. Bailamosdance

bribes. The fact that top level couples are so quick to leave USA Dance indicates more than a simply monetary situation, IMHO