Ballroom Dance > 3 feathers uses

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomdancertoo, Oct 8, 2017.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Because five would be Right Out! :D

Requiem likes this.
  2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I was working in DC when Ron was just getting started . You probably remember Terry Gregory ?...

3. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

I do. Terry was another awesome instructor. Before I started dancing, I believe that both Terry and Ron were co owners of Chevy Chase Ballroom with a third partner. Terry (may God rest his soul) eventually branched off to start his own studio in Arlington, Virginia that was named Feather and Three. This was an oddly shaped studio in a shopping center basement that had a very short short wall and a very long long wall. It was the only studio where I danced that had parkay flooring. During his most recent years, he brought his two giant boxer dogs to his studio where they spent time during his work day: Tango and Cash. While Terry was teaching his group lessons, the dogs would often clamor for attention by whimpering and barking from a caged area in the back. Nonplussed, Terry would just yell at them to shut up until he finished teaching his hour. When he walked them to the studio, they were both so strong that they would nearly knock him off of his feet.

Terry would often cook lunch himself in his studio kitchen for his Thursday afternoon tea dance patrons as part of admittance to the dance. I never saw any staffers for his studio. He was a one man band. One of his lunch specialties was spaghetti with mushrooms which was my favorite.

My partner at the time, Maureen, absolutely worshiped Terry. Moe and I took private lessons from him for about a year. When his studio closed, he ended up as an independent instructor at Dance Studio Lioudmila with Moe and I who followed him there. It was Terry who introduced me to International Paso Doble.

Terry passed away in 2008 along with his contemporaries, instructors Jack Scates, Shirley Gamber, and Joe Jenkins.

4. tangotime

His spag. dinners were well known ( I was working for Freds at that time 1964 . )

Both Joe and Larry Silvers were very close friends ( Betty and Nancy also)
    . I trained both Larry and Joe for their ISTD exams whilst in DC ( among other FA studio teachers ) .

I also arranged for both a trip to the UK to get exposure to the English comps and teachers ( Scrivener and Binnick ) plus Hancock and Laird for Larry .

I actually managed Larry's studio in Clearwater back in the mid 90s and I was given use of a self contained apart at the rear of his house. Worked well for him as he was not driving at that time and I had wheels..
    I have many stories to tell about Larry ( and jOE ) but, not on a public forum.
    Larry's son Darryl did well as a Junior but not in the Pro ranks ( much better in Pro/Am ) ..
    DC sure did turn out some great dancers !!
    Joe was the 1st one to make the final in B/pool, eventually getting to 3rd, then quit . Larry's success was more in Latin altho he did both .

5. Dr Dance

Curiously, I never met either Larry Silvers or Joe Jenkins. But I have been privileged to have taken private lessons from TWO of Joe's ex wives: Nancy and my current standard instructor, Mary Botta. I have also participated in standard drills from one of Joe's other students: standard instructor Lasca Low from whom I had also taken privates for two years. Despite me never having met the man, Joe Jenkins has left his mark on my dancing in many ways.

Ron Bennett likes to share an amusing story about Terry Gregory. One time when Terry went to participate at Blackpool, he was observing some of the other pros there. "They had legs like tree trunks!" Terry would relate while holding his hands out in front of him like he was holding a basketball.

Terry's students were literally his "family." His studio resembled a private residence with very home-y decor (furniture and lamps). His Thursday tea dancers were a mix of retirees and shift workers. This was a man who literally made teaching dance his life.

"1964?" You have been around for a good long time. I didn't even start dancing until 1997.

6. tangotime

Joe is one of the finest Prof. competitors to come out of the States, their rise thru the Prof ranks was meteoric , even by any English pro's.

Yes I have, ( much longer than that !! )... A time when Rumba was square, no Cha and no Jive .. I am fortunate to have been around before ,and thru the golden age of dance in the UK ..

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I believe the third partner was Geoffrey Fells. I think he skipped off to Hawaii?

8. tangotime

You are correct...

9. tangotime

For whom ?

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

11. tangotime

Gotcha.. His move to Hawaii was the reason , but forgot about that episode. Did ya know that Eggelton married his sister .

12. Dr Dance

No. But that's one good way to keep dance in the family!