2013 USA Dance Nationals - LA

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancebug, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

Hi,
    I know it is very early, but I would like to start planning now. We would like to spend a couple more days after the National in LA next year, doing tourist's stuff. We are not interested in Hollywood or amusement parks. Can we get some suggestions what to do without going too far away from LA? Or can you share what you did when you went to National two years ago? Thank you.
  2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Getty Villa and Getty Museum would be toward the top of my list!

Btw, in addition to the restaurants right near LA Live, there are quite a few other places I've enjoyed in easy walking distance.

For lovely outdoor dining, try Cafe Pinot.
    For a quick lunch or dinner, I really liked the salads and sandwiches at Mendocino Farms.
    dlliba10 likes this.
  3. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

+1 for the Getties (both Villa and Museum -- the former really gets me excited since I'm a Classicist). If it's your first time, definitely check out The Grove and the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica. Also, a bit out of the way, but grab a Vanilla Solar at Solar de Cahuenga at Franklin and N Cahuenga. I dream nightly of it and it's always my first stop in LA.
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  4. ChaChaMama

La Brea Tar Pits.

Griffith Park/Griffith Observatory.

I also find it interesting to tour college campuses, and UCLA is quite a pretty campus.

I know you said you aren't into Hollywood, but how do you feel about comedy clubs? There are some famous ones in West Hollywood, including The Comedy Store and The Laugh Factory.
    dlliba10 and Bailamosdance like this.
  5. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

I hope that you all don't mind if I "borrow" your suggestions for the Nationals website, for those very few people who don't read DF.
    dlliba10 likes this.
  6. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Please do! My best friend also lives in West Hollywood (and is a former ballroom dancer himself), so I can ask him for more suggestions too.
  7. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Member

I haven't been to LA in a while but I remember the car museum being pretty neat
  8. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Any suggestions would be helpful
  9. Akita

Akita Active Member

(Thanks for updating the schedule and qualification lists!)

On the schedule page, it says "Friday, April 1" and then Saturday, April 6"
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

11. ChaChaMama

Wow! Exciting! There is going to be a salsa event, and the winner gets to compete at The World Games in Cali, Colombia!

http://www.usadancenationals.com/
    -->Page down to Item #1 on the home page.

I'm not sure I'm going to make it to Nationals this year, but if I did, this event would be toward the top of my "Must See" list!
  12. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Opps, thanks for pointing it out, all corrected. Please let me know if you find other typos.

Just checking to see if anyone is reading the website :)
  13. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Hi, there seem to be a number of National threads being started. I'm hoping that the wonderful administrators can combine them under this one thread, thus making it easier for people to find and comment. Thanks

The 3 I was able to find are: Things to do after Nationals; Typos on Nationals website; & Salsa event at Nationals. Thanks
  14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

And here I thought it was an extreme example of what could be done when someone finally mastered the ability to stretch out the timing available in the music! (Shows you what I know :confused:)
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  15. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

I don't know if I'll be going to Nationals this year either :( but would love to hear more about how this goes!
  16. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

this will be an am am event. maybe the mrs and i will give it a go, have won salsa comps elsewhere
  17. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Wouldn't that be nice
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  18. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

This will be an AM/AM, Pro/AM, Pro/Pro event. Since the IOC makes no distinction, neither will we. Its open to all. See the rules on the 'Salsa Rules' page under the "Need to Know" tab on the Nationals website: www.usadancenationals.com.

Hope to see you there.
  19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

yeah i noticed that once i got home and read the website bummer
  20. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Why bummer? Come out and compete anyway, who knows......